Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:00:22 -0400

There is a very simple work-around solution to the problem of food cooked
on a grill, such as Ayn describes below. Realizing that in a busy
restaurant kitchen, most cooks don't have the time to cool down a section
of grill and scrub it/scrape it/clean it, we just ask for our food to be
cooked in a clean skillet and not on the grill at all. We find very little
taste different this way, and we have never reacted to food cooked this
way. We've done it at Carrabas (Orlando) and numerous other restaurants. If
you explain things nicely to the manager, we've found them very happy to
accomadate this cooking change rather than risk glutening us.

Maureen

Ayn in Alabama posted:

Subject: Carrabbas Restaurant - Update
Hi All--

Late last week I received a call from Carrabbas' corporate office. The call
was in response to the email I sent them asking for information re: how
Carrabbas handles cross contamination issues for celiacs. For those of you
who didn't catch my original post to the list, here's the background info:
learned that the Carrabbas restaurant in Huntsville, AL cooks beef on one
portion of their grill, chicken on another portion of the grill, and fish
on
yet another portion of the grill. According to their menu, celiacs need
only
ask that the grill baste be omitted from the grill item ordered, giving the
impression that the baste is the only source of gluten for the grill items.
(snip)
Ayn in Alabama