From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:14:26 -0700

My grandchildren are 6 and 3. I too discovered that I was getting sick from
being glutenized by cross contamination when I was at their house as well
when they were at my house. We solved the problem by keeping them GF  when I
go there and when they come to my house.  I always have GF treats, cereal,
ice-cream cones, etc. Now that they are older and can be more careful I may
let them eat gluten once in a while.  At my daughters house we are really
careful to wipe down the counters often and wipe faces and hands just in
case.  I have made up a  "Kitchen in  Tub"  ( pans,  toaster, cutting
board,anything I may need to cook) which I take when I go there. I don't use
any food at her house that may be contaminated.  I did get sick from using
her wood cutting board early on, which is what led me to making the "Kit in
a Tub"  We make sure they have clean clothes on too. So this plan has
allowed  me to enjoy my grandchildren and not get sick, and they are very
careful because they don't want Gramma to get sick. The older they get, the
easier it is for all of us. Hope this isn't too long! Good luck to you.  Jan
in North Carolina
----------------------------
Maybe you could watch them at your house and decontaminate them when they
come in. Like have a clean set of cloths for them and wash them up when they
get there. A little drastic, but could work if your place is child proof. I
know mine isn't. . . I have already had many problems with being GF and
having three teenagers in the house who love fast food and touching
everything leaving the gluten for me to get my hands on. It's been tough for
sure.  Betty
-----------------------
OH YES, BUT ONE DIFFERENCE THEY HAVE ALWAYS HAD TO COME TO MY DWELLING AND
EAT
ONLY THE FOOD (GF) THAT I COOK AND NONE IS ALLOWED TO BE BROUGHT IN  (LIKE
GLUTEN
FROM FAST FOODS PLACES. YOU'LL FEEL BETTER WHEN THEY COME TO YOU. LILY
----------------------
I was brokenhearted to learn the same thing. My grandkids come here and eat
only my food. It is expensive but no matter what we tried I got sick when I
went there. On the rare occasions that I spend time there I do wear latex
gloves. I feel terrible about it but it is all I can do.
-----------------------
While my experience is not exactly like yours, I am the mom of two young
children (I'm the celiac in the house).  My doctor also has celiac disease
and is the mother of two young children.  She said the only way she was able
to heal completely was to make her house gluten free, which I have done
myself.  When they are little, they get crumbs on everything!  It's just too
hard to try and remember if I touched something with gluten on it. . . . I
feel badly for you that you feel like you can't go to their house.  Maybe
you could try going to their house, but bringing your food for them to eat
throughout the day.  It might be worth a try before you stop taking care of
them at their house.  Amy
-------------------------
I generally try to avoid going ANYWHERE where there is gluten as  it is
highly likely that I will get sick.  Needless to say, this limits my life
tremendously.  If I go to my sister's house shortly after it has been
cleaned, I am more likely to be OK - and she has CD, but there is gluten
everywhere in her house from 2 kids.  I teach at a local university and
generally start to heal over the summer and then go downhill from the first
day back at school.  I can not walk into most restaurants.  So, yes
I totally understand how it is impossible to avoid gluten in very
contaminated atmospheres.  I have other little nieces & nephews who are very
"kissy" and I am scared to kiss them. Diane, Denver