From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:45:57 -0400

>...I am wondering is there
>anyone that gets migrains when the eat gluten as well as the other
>intestial symptoms?

A dreadful headache down the right side of my head and into my shoulder (I
can describe this with some accuracy because I've had it for the last 12
hours or so) is the worst symptom I get. I do not know if this qualifies as
a migraine, but it does come along with a bit of nausea.

I am very careful about my diet (gluten ingestion is quite inadvertent), so
I have no idea how much gluten it takes to produce the problem. However the
half dozen or so times I have had the headache, it has hit at 2 or 3 in the
morning and does not yield to Excedrin, my all-time favorite headache
reliever. I can not say for sure, but the headache seems to pass when the
offending substance passes through my system. I also sometimes get bloating
and gas, but that's just a discomfort compared to this. I am guessing that
other celiacs have the headache symptom because it was on the questionnaire
circulated via a resident at Columbia Presybterian (studying with Dr. Peter
Greene I think).

I shall be interested in getting a sense of how many others associate
gluten and headaches.

And a curiosity I have noted: my messed up toenails seem to be coming in
pretty clean and straight after a bit more than a year gluten-free. Dr.
Greene says no connection that he knows of -- "toenails are made of
protein, not one of the substances you malabsorb" - but on the other hand,
"so little is known about celiac that you notice what you notice." Of
course malnutrition does show up in the hair and nails. Anyone else notice
better nails?

Mary Brown