From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:05:16 EST

Have you considered getting a Zagat Restaurant Guide for SF?  If my memory is
still intact(?), I think that they say which restaurants accommodate you for
special requests.

Anaheim--TGI Friday's.

Trader Joe's at 2500 E Imperial Hwy   Brea, CA

San Diego-- Whole Foods on University Ave. & Henry's
Market Place on Park Blvd.

   I packed a cooler and checked it in as luggage the last time I
traveled and it worked out great.  Just brought all my own food.  I
froze water in plastic gallon milk containers and set them in the
cooler.  They stayed frozen about 3 days, then I refilled it with an ice
block.  I just had to duct tape the cooler for the flight.  I try to
stay at a hotel with at least a microwave in the lobby if not in the
room.

In the L. A. area....go to Whole Foods markets, Albertsons markets, Trader
Joes.

Try looking in your local supermarket for canned tuna salad.  It is GF and it
travels well.  It comes with crackers that you cannot use, but is very handy
in a pinch.  I am not near my kitchen to tell you the brand, but it is
available here in Calif. in Ralph's, Gelson's etc.

We usually drive when we travel and we carry pretzels, nuts, hard cooked
eggs, cheese, fruit, carrot sticks, GF crackers, and GF cereal.  You
just have to be careful that when you enter California, they will take
all of your fruit, so make sure you don't have any left.  They do not
let you enter the state with any fruit from an outside source to protect
from diseases and bugs getting into the state.

San Francisco--Green's Restaurant

Someone just got back from Alaska.....and said... (Too good to edit.)
For breakfast, I brought Bob's Brown Rice Hot Cereal.  I put 2 cups in a
ziplock bag, and I was able to use the B & B's microwave-proof bowls to fix
it.  Takes one cup of water and 1/4 cup dry cereal.  It tastes pretty good,
and it is very light and doesn't take up a lot of room in your luggage.  That
and a piece of fruit is plenty for breakfast.

For dinner, I was able to eat out with simple meals of fish, baked potato,
vegetables and a salad with oil & vinegar dressing.  I just asked the
waitress if anything had bread and said that I was allergic to wheat and
needed everything to be "plain".  It was never a problem and my meals were
delicious.

I took Food for Life Brown Rice Bread.  They sell it at Whole Foods and there
is a Whole Foods in San Francisco and in Palo Alto.  I thawed it first, and
toasted two pieces at a time, put each set in a small bag, and then put
everything back in the bread bag and re-froze it for the trip.  I stayed at
bed & breakfasts for all but one night, so I was able to keep the bread in a
freezer.  Then each day, I took out enough for my sandwich at lunch.  I
didn't try to eat lunch out with the group.  I went the the grocery store
when I first arrived and bought Oscar Mayer lunch meat, which is sold in most
stores and is g/f.  I brought a small amount of mustard and mayonnaise (g/f
kinds) in small plastic containers, and a bottle of g/f salad dressing.  So I
just had a sandwich, chips and a piece of fresh fruit for lunch and everyone
understood that I didn't want to try eating lunch out.

Another whole response worth printing:

My favorite bread to take on a trip or to the hospital is Bette Hagman's
"Flaky Breakfast Rusks", p. 87 in The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and
Healthy.  The Swedish Hardtack, p. 85, is also excellent.  I use a fork to
spread the dough; it seems to make it more tender.  The Mock Graham
Crackers, p. 87, are also good traveling food.  Use oleo in the rusks; they
will hold up a little better when moved about.  I have a metal box that is
a perfect size for the rusks; it holds a double recipe.  We like granola
and granola bars, too.  Recipes for these are on pp. 189 and 190.  Wrap
each bar in plastic wrap and it is ready for your purse. If you can get
milk you might take cereal in plastic bags.  Carry a bowl and spoon for
eating the cereal.  Bette said she takes instant soups, g-f of course, in
small plastic bags and then uses hot water to make the soup.    We always
take crackers, either Ener-G or Glutano. You can buy little cans of meat
with pull tops and get peanut butter in small jars or individual packages.
Little packages of jelly are great to use on the rusks or crackers.  Ener-G
has bread in two slice packages.  They need no special care.  We use
recycled Nestle Quick or Comstock cans for packing cookies, bread,
crackers, etc. You might want to take enough bread or muffins for the first
couple of days and then use the dried breads.  I hope you have a restaurant
card; I prefer the one from GIG. It states the facts to the chef in easy to
understand terms.

O.K. This is from me again. Thanks for the responses.

There were also two responses regarding packing a cooler and taking it with
me to Calif. I guess that would be adviseable for someone who is highly
intolerant and won't have access to a car, but I'll pass on that one. Another
person said to buy a cheap toaster when I get there. Also a good idea....if
you eat toast or waffles. I don't, so I'll pass that one too, but they're
ideas worth sharing.

Since the majority of responses said California is one great big healthfood
market, and that the restaurants are not shocked when you ask for wheatfree,
I think I'm going to enjoy myself. Will let you know. Thanks for your ideas
and good wishes.

Linda