From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 17:29:56 EDT

I have just finished communicating with many companies trying
to find the gluten free and soy free status of many foods
that contain natural flavoring.  They have mailed or E-mailed
me back responses to my requests.
Only the requests for gluten free foods got a response.
Not one included the request for foods that were soy free.  This was
distressing for me as knowing the gluten free status doesn't
help if the product is not also soy free.  Mc Cormick
spices actually sent me a nice  letter about spices that
were gluten free (most of them), but no word
on the soy free part of the request.  In fact, they mailed me
a free sample of a product that had soy protein in it, for me to try.

The good part of this is that it shows that the gluten free voice
is being heard loud and clear, because only a year ago, most of my
requests for finding out which products were gf was met with
"What is gluten?" from the same companies.
I believe that this list can take a lot of credit
for the improvement.

The bad news is that I and others with multiple
allergies are still in limbo.  Each time I talk to a
company (like McNeil who told me Tylenol could not be guaranteed)
I ask them to be kind and try to, at least, identify on the label
when they use the top 8 allergic ingredients in a product and not
hide it in the natural flavors, inert ingredients etc.  I wish that
more of us could leave a message like that to help those of us with
multiple intolerance concerns. Obviously the word is out that we are
a force to be recognized.