From:
"J.V. Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J.V. Rich
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:33:19 -0700

Dear Listmates -
Thanks for the replies to my question about soy flour.

Two people suggested Fearn Soya powder, which is available in some
grocery stores (I found it in a health food store here and have sent an
email to the company to make sure it is GF.  Will let you know what
they say.)

Other responses:

EnerG has GF Soy flour.

I use a Whisper Mill and mill dried soy beans which you can find at
Asian markets.  But to keep mill clean due to oil from beans, I mill
white rice flour just after and use a toothbrush to clean exposed
parts.  So far, mill has not gotten plugged or jammed.

The CSA lists Arrowhead Mills as having a gf soy flour.  Although they
produce wheat products as well, I believe they are careful about
cross-contamination - either by having separate lines or by thorough
cleaning.  Check with the company or in the archives, because I believe
they describe the precautions they take.

Five or more years ago, I bought some soy flour to try some of those
recipes you refer to. I was content to buy it from the bulk bin at a
store where the bins are set up to minimize spillage from one to the
other. I used it, had no problems with reactions. However, I found it
an extremely cranky flour to use--it takes about 20 minutes to cook a
soy flour waffle; baked goods made with soy flour likewise take forever
to bake and absorb large amounts of atmospheric moisture after baking,
so your nice bread, cake, cookies, what-have-you become a sodden mess;
and it tastes overwhelmingly "beany", a distinctly unpleasant taste--I
think the worst was the soy flour chocolate chip cookies. I stopped
using it and am much happier with my finished product. I generally use
quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, millet, Asian white rice (not the grainy
US product), Asian sweet rice, tapioca starch, sorghum, and/or corn
meal. Once in a while I'll use garbanzo flour, but I'm not wild about
it, either.

Jackie in AZ

Try Dixie DIner's Club. You can find it by doing a google search.