From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2013 15:56:54 -0500

I got a response to my note to Hallmark saying that the gluten-free ass card was inappropriate, albeit some might find it funny.  Some may find it offensive.  It certainly would have been the first card I've ever seen targeting a disability. Would it lead to humor about...diabetes, Parkinsons, etc.?  At any rate, I emailed them through their website and got the following reply. (Maybe if the card didn't reference the aforementioned body part, I wouldn't have bothered to write.) Lin

Thank you for contacting Hallmark.

We have received your thoughtful comments expressing concern about some of the topics and images represented in our humor cards, and are happy to have the opportunity to respond.

You are right that some of our more recent humor cards incorporate more offbeat styles and topics than you’ve seen from Hallmark in the past. Greeting cards reflect the times - something we have learned over nearly 100 years of being in this business of helping people connect and nurture relationships. Nowhere is this more true than in the realm of humor, where “what’s funny” is not only very individual to each person and relationship, but also constantly evolves over time. This is why we have extended our range of humor cards into some areas that may not be to everyone's taste, but please know that these are a narrow segment of the total humor card offering and have not replaced our more traditional humor cards.

Our goal with humor cards has always been, and remains, to appeal to a wide range of people and help them connect with one another through laughter. Occasionally we don't get it right, but we never intend our products to offend or be used in hurtful ways.

We appreciate your preference for Hallmark products and place a high value on your comments.

Please accept our apology for the unintended offense, and our appreciation for taking the time to let us know about that.

Thanks,