From:
Dina Moreth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:34:13 -0400

Thank you to all who responded.  From the number of replies I received I
can see that this is a very popular dish.

Overwhelmingly, people recommended the pasta recipe from Bette Hagman's
first book.  One person uses that recipe plus 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum.

One woman shared her recipe:

For dough, mix with wire whisk

  1 cup rice or sweet rice flour
  2/3 cup tapioca starch
  1/4 tsp. salt
  1/2 tsp. baking powder
  1 tsp xanthan gum

Mix in large bowl with mixer:

  1/2 cup water
  1 egg
  2 tsp. oil or sauteed butter

Add dry ingredients to beaten ingredients and blend to a soft dough.

Another person said that although she has not made pierogies, she has
had success in other recipes when she subtitutes 1/3 cup of soy flour
for an equal amount of her regular gf blend.  Since the soy flour is
oiler, it seems to hold together better.

Two people mentioned Panne Rizo in Vancouver as a good place to purchase
pierogies.

Once again, I appreciate all the input and plan to make these next week!

Dina