From:
Andrew Van Olst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Van Olst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:04:24 -0400

BlankHere are the last responses regarding my question about acid reflux and celiac.  Haven't rec'd any endoscopy results yet but it's only been 1 week (6 business days) so far (they said results came back in 10 days and I would only be called if the doctor needed to see me before my follow-up appointment on June 12).

BTW, I ordered the book that was recommended to me by someone here (Why Stomach Acids are Good For You - J. Wright - it hasn't come in yet though) and I also am reading Generation RX  ('How Prescription Drugs are Altering American Lives, Minds and Bodies') Greg Critser (someone here also recommended that one) and what an eye-opener that one is!! I'd just finished reading John Grisham's The King of Torts, a fictional story about the drug companies and the settlements made with people who were harmed by their drugs - and then I got into Generation RX, which is non-fiction.  Wow!  I realize that there are wonderful drugs out there and that some ailments require medical intervention, however, I would recommend reading this book to be an aware consumer.  It mentions many ailments and drugs.  Interestingly I'd just purchased a 1933 book called Guinea Pigs: Dangers in Foods, Drugs & Cosmetics by Kallet/Schlink, which turned out to be a lot like Generation RX but from the early 1900s!  It amazed me that the same things are still going on, just in a more sophisticated way!

About acid reflux ("GERD") in RX Generation: "What did Zantac do, and whom would it benefit? The answer came back in the form of a disease that almost no one ever got: GERD, short for gastroesophageal reflux disease. GERD is, in essence, heartburn that gets so bad and so chronic that is causes damage to the esophagus. True GERD is rare, but the precondition for it, a weak esophageal sphincter (the muscle that shuts off the esophagus from lower gut acids) is part of the natural aging process.  That is why almost everyone gets heartburn, and why almost everyone's heartburn gets worse with age.  The business question was: how could you convince a lot of people - and a lot of physicians and insurers - to pay for an expensive prescription drug when most people saw heartburn in a benign way and treated it with a 49-cent roll of Tums? Worse, from the perspective of the CEO, much of the resistance to any anti-GERD medication was populist, the outgrowth of long-held folk wisdom: people felt that heartburn was, at least in part, their own fault, either from eating too much or from eating the wrong foods at the wrong time.  How could you sell around that?  The answer was to medicalize - and by extension popularize GERD.  ...the tactic worked so well - sending Zantac sales into the heavens - that it has since become a textbook example of what the industry now routinely called 'branding a condition'.  ... (pp. 69-70).
Dawn

~~~
I had the same experience. I've been on a GF diet for more than 37 years, but I've never been completely symptom free. I was diagnosed many years ago with an endoscopy. I took one the other day because my symptoms have worsened. Haven't yet gotten the results of the biopsy, but the doctor also indicated that he saw something which would result in acid reflux, a symptom that I don't have. I don't know if there is a connection, but I'd appreciate your sharing the responses you get with me.

~~~
There is a definite connection with CD.  I did have that question asked before I knew I had acid reflux, however, it concerned chest pains I was having.  Later, turned out to be acid reflux.  Mine seems to be heavily effected by casein more than gluten. I do not notice reflux anymore with just gluten.  I do notice it when I have taken in milk products or by product added to foods. I should stay off milk completely, but after awhile I end up giving in. That is when the reflux comes back and the more I take in the worse the
reflux.
~~~

I have acid reflux.  It can scar your esophagus.  It is especially bad and one of my first reactiions to ingesting wheat, corn syrup, or corn starch.
~~~

Hey,,I was told and before my major surgery last Dec,,,last fall I was able to 'get off' of the previcid,,as I took some PURE Apple Cider Vinegar each morning and through out the day as needed,,,it is great for other things,,but give it a try,,,I get the BRAGGS.  I haven't ordered the booklet yet to have the list of other things they are good for!

Hey,,what state do you live in or are you from Canada? Sounds like Canada,,, [I'm in Southern Ontario, Canada BTW!]

Hope you are feeling some better,,,,,oh,,the other thing,,which you already know,,don't eat a lot at one time or before you go to bed.

~~~
Acid reflux can be due to a Hiatal hernia (60% of people have
these by age 60), Sleep Apnea, or both.
Best to check it out.  I have both of these.
Also to a high mast cell count in the digestive system
(endoscopy would show).
~~~

I expect that there must be SOME connection between CD and GERD, because of the general GI issues that surrounded untreated CD. However, keep in mind that GERD and acid reflux are as common as all get out in pretty much most U.S. population bases.  People with CD say they have a lot of GERD or reflux, so I think we start to think that it is somehow connected.  But it is common, even outside of people with CD.  Also, people with CD probably have a heightened awareness of any diseases to do with the GI tract, so they are more likely to have their esophagus' looked at and treated by doctors ... whereas other people just live with it and don't get it diagnosed. Think about all the ads on TV for every type of anti-reflux medication in the world!  That is because SO many people suffer from this, no matter what else they have going on medically!