From:
Andrea Andraschko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:50:47 EDT

My query didn't bring in too many responses, and those that came in were more
GF and/or GFCF sites or non-allergy specific sites that happen to have a few
GF recipes (I'm still including them for those who don't need recipes with
multiple substitutions or -free status).  I went back to google and searched on a
variety of different keywords, and finally hit upon the right keyword
combination that brought me what I wanted.  By far the best website is one I'd heard
about but forgot, called POFAK (Parents of Food Allergic Kids), which has a
HUGE database of recipes with a user-friendly and useful search engine, and a
well organized forum for discussing specific recipes, potential substitutions,
problems, etc., not to mention support for dealing with food allergies and
intolerances (mostly aimed at parents of allergic kids, but many parents have
allergies too).  POFAK requires user registration to view the recipe database, but
it is free.  I highly recommend it, even if you're just looking for GF
recipes.  The website address is: http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/index.php

Anyhoo, here are the results of my own extensive web search:

Websites specific to multiple food allergies/intolerances/substitutions with
free recipes:

Kids With Food Allergies Recipe Index (Also a large community for POFAK with
a forum and other services)[*note: this is exactly what I was looking for when
I posted my original question.  It has the ability to search recipes that
exclude multiple specific ingredients]
http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/recipes.html

Food Allergy Survivors Together (They also have a message board and
discussion list)
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/FAST/recipes.html

Recipe databases with ability to select ingredients to exclude (general
recipe sites, not allergy specific):

Meals for You
http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/home

Better Health Channel (Australia)
http://betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcsite.nsf/pages/bhc_recipes_search?opendocument

Websites specific to multiple food allergies/intolerances/substitutions but
not many free recipes:

Food Allergy Kitchen (also sells a cookbook on CD-ROM that I've ordered.
I'll post a review after I receive it)
http://www.foodallergykitchen.com/
(also has a newsgroup on Yahoo, but mostly chat, not much on actual recipes)

Food Allergy Awareness Network (FAAN)
http://www.foodallergy.org/

Old Fahioned Recipe Books available online only (allergy/intolerance
specific):

Allergic People Eat Deserts Too! (Cookbook)
http://www.allergycookbook.com/index.html

Food Allergy News Cookbook (from Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network)
https://www.foodallergy.org/shoppingcart/CGI-BIN/msascartlist.dll/ProductInfo?
productcd=CBOK2

Here are websites recommended by list members:

Please see www.celiac.com for free recipes (you can submit them to share
with the world), and see our message board which has an extensive recipe area:
www.glutenfreeforum.com

===============
Hi Andrea.  I agree with you and have begun work on designing a web site
such as  you have inquired about.  In our line of business I speak quite
often with people on special diets and see the need for this.  Once mine is
up and running I will let  you know.
http://www.birdshillenterprises.com

===============
This is a gf and cf recipe site. See if there are any of interest to you.
http://www.gfcf-recipe-resource.com/
===============
On our forum, there are a lot of GF recipe exchange, along with my "Best of
Mireille" recipe collection, which are my family's favourite.
Forum:  http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start
my recipe collection:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=14862.2
===============
I love www.allrecipes.com - you can setup your own recipe box with private
comments, bookmark recipes you are interested in and read reviews which include
individual substitutions. This is all free of charge. The search facility is
excellent. The recipe for GF Yellow Cake is excellent
http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/GlutenFreeYellowCake.asp It has 26 reviews with an average rating of 5/5
stars. As an example. one review says "I made 24 cupcakes with this recipe
(baked for 19 minutes.) I also substituted 1 cup pineapple juice for the milk
(using only 1 cup sugar) and 2 tsp lemon juice for the vanilla. (Thus making it
also casein free!) A delicious recipe."

I also use www.recipezaar.com  There's no charge to search or use the site
print or copy but it does require a paying membership to create your own recipe
box.
And there is http://fooddownunder.com , a database of over 200,000 recipes. A
'Gluten free' search will return 154 recipes specifically labelled gluten
free. The sites organizaion is by 'Food and Culinary Categories'. Since many
countries do not use food sources with gluten, a culinary search will give
thousands of recipes that are not specifically labelled "gluten free".

Also, Google for an individual ingredient, eg 'Quinoa recipes'. I found an
excellent Quinoa Tabouli recipe this way.

These sites are fun to browse just for ideas.