From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 16:29:15 -0400

So many have emailed me asking for rice wrapper/paper recipes,
that I want to share some suggestions I got with the whole list:

1>> Take out a sheet, wash it off. (or I place it on a shallow
plate filled with warm water) for a minute or less, place it on a damp
dishtowel, fill with whatever you like (leftovers are great), roll or fold
up.  I make a plate of them, microwave and then eat.  They dry out, so if
you're making a lot, you can cover them with another damp cloth.  You can
also deep fry, which I've never done, but they are delicious in the
restaurant. Ellen Switkes

2>>I made spinich and Ricotta rolls with mine
using the Rice Paper in place of Filo pastry.  To get the paper to roll I
had to spray it with water, layer it, pray again and wait for it to
soften.
I don't know if this is the correct approach but it worked fine and the my
daughter really likes the rolls which she takes for lunch. Ruth Wainwright

3>>Wanted to share a great recipe - everyone loves it.

Salmon in Rice Paper Wrappers from GF Baker Summer/96 Newsletter

4 - six oz. salmon filets, skinned
Salt & pepper
4 pieces of fresh cilantro, parsley or dill
4 - 6 pieces of 8-10 inch circular rice paper
1 T oil
2 C warm water
2 T sugar
1/4 C cider vinegar

In a large shallow pan (large farberware skillet) combine water, sugar and
vinegar.  This will be the mixture used to soften the rice paper wrappers.
Mix well.  Dip the rice paper wrappers into mixture, remove to individual
dinner plates to become pliable. (Save remainder of mixture for next use).
Place herbs in middle of rice wrapper (I used dried dill about 1/4-1/2 t per
wrapper, then place a very thin slice of lemon on top of the herbs).
Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the salmon fillets.  Put salmon top side
down in the middle of rice paper, covering herbs and lemon.  Fold up the
four sides of the rice paper to form a packet around the salmon fillet.
Turn the packet over to seal. The herbs will show through the wrapper on the
top side.  Wrap remaining three fillets.  Heat the oil in a saute pan.
Place the top sides of the salmon packets down in pan and cook 2-3 minutes
until the paper becomes translucent and slightly golden.  Turn the packets
over and finish cooking on top of stove or in a 350 oven for 6-8 minutes.
If you like your salmon well done, cook 2-4 minutes longer.
(Recipe supplied by Kathryn Ryan)

My email provider has been having lots of trouble with internet mail the
past few months, and has been down most of this week. It will be down
again on part of Monday. If you emailed me for a summary and didn't
get one, please try again. Some corporation is using our gateway for
spam, I gather; not sure what this involves, but a lot of legitimate mail
has been lost in the process of fixing this, I understand. Lots of outgoing
mail has been messed up too.

Good health & good eating!
Bobbi in Baltimore