From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:18:23 -0800

I got a laugh out of most of the responses because so many has similar
experiences.  They had noticed that they had been more sleepy than usual
since Thanksgiving, but hadn't connected it with eating turkey leftovers
until I posted.  Quite a few people said that the amino acid tryptophan,
which is in abundance in turkey, is responsible for this phenomenon.  For
most people, the extra sleepiness is just an annoyance, but for a couple
people it's actually a very unpleasant experience.  One person who's
response I wanted to include, but lost (bummer!) said that her son had been
complaiining about being sleepy at school since Turkey Day.  Eureka!  It was
the turkey sandwiches she have been putting in his lunches!  I'll quote just
of the most representative responses below. Valerie in Tacoma
---------
Guess what!  I had turkey soup  . . . and had to take a nap.  Too funny.
Mary in Ohio
------------
. . . rest assured (no pun intended) that I get the same reaction. whether
it's afternoon or at night, turkey knocks me out. mentally and physically
sluggish. it's supposed to be an antidepressant but with me, it actuallys
MAKES me depressed. i think i may have some food sensitivites to it as well.
if i feel a migraine coming on, the turkey will trip it off.  STeve
--------------
ROFLMAO, I couldn't work out why I was so tired this afternoon.  I actually
took a nap, something I never do.  A friend brought some turkey over and I
couldn't refuse it so I ate some for lunch (can't stand the stuff).  Now I
have a reason not to eat it other than not  liking the taste   Shez
------------
     YES! I am so sleepy! Even two days after eating my last bowl [of turkey
soup], I am barely able to negotiate, here! I never even thought of the
extra tryptophan in my diet. I have actually been sleeping 10 and 12 hours a
night. And when I wake, I am so sleepy and spaced out I have been having a
hard time just getting thru the days since Thanksgiving. I had turkey every
day till this past Tuesday. I wonder if that could be the cause!?!
     I would have never linked the two--thanks, for bringing this up. I have
a problem with chronic fatigue and any time I have problems with more
fatigue or sleepiness, I start to get depressed and upset that I am having a
relapse. I feel so much better just thinking that this might be a
side-effect of that **** bird! lol
  I figured out why the tryptophan was throwing me for such a loop--I have a
problem with hyperactive serotonin!  I knew that, I just forgot that turkey
had so much tryptophan and trypt=serotonin.  DUH!  Anything that adds to the
serotonin is a definite no-no for me.  I actually take really expensive
pills (Enada NADH) to help with too high serotonin in my urine (which is
implicated in my fatigue).  . . .  No more turkey and soup for me!  lol
Don't know WHAT I was thinking when I bought the bird.  Anyway, thanks for
reminding me why I was so tired.  Mia
. . . years ago I attended a very good training on mental health and food,
and they mentioned it was a myth that turkey meat can make you sleepy.
Turkey does contain tryptophan (sp?) which is a mild sedative, but protein
interferes with the body's processing of tryptophan....as the meat is
protein, the tryptophan it contains cannot be processed, ergo cannot make
you sleepy......
However, this makes me wonder if by making the broth for the soup, you got
the tryptopahn without the protein, and therefore it works and makes you
sleepy? Lynn