From:
Imke Brech <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Imke Brech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:36:52 -0700

Hello everybody,

I wanted to share a very good experience with you.

I love to shop at IKEA (a furniture store with a lot of nice other things)
and therefore we went there on our San Diego Trip. Beside the shopping (with
childcare available) they have a restaurant (fast and inexpensive, with play
corner for kids)and I was impressed to find out that the manager was aware
of the gluten status of his offered meals. My son had salmon with potatoes
and broccoli (only without the sauce) and there would have been also the
choice of chicken. But the very best was that they had two (!!!) gluten free
Tarts to choose from as desert. "Original Swedish Almond Torte" and
"Original Swedish Almond Torte with Daim". He liked them very much and so
did we.

We were even able to purchase these as whole GF cakes (frozen) to take home.
here is the link to the cake company www.almondy.com and two frequently
asked questions, that might be of interest:

 " Question: Are all the cakes really free from gluten?
Answer: Yes! We handle no products with gluten content at our factory and we
demand from our suppliers that the raw materials we buy from them contain no
trace of gluten. We make regular tests of possible gluten content. Almondy's
cakes are registered as SÄR-NÄR (Livsmedel för Särskilda Näringsändamål -
Food for Special Nutritional Purposes) with Livsmedelsverket (the Swedish
National Food Administration). Read more about SÄR-NÄR at Livsmedelsverket's
web site www.slv.se/engdefault.asp. "

"Question: I do not live in Sweden. Where can I buy the Almondy cakes?
Answer: Almondy's cakes are sold in 31 countries. In Sweden, Norway,
Denmark, Finland, Germany and on Iceland you will find our cakes in most
well-appointed supermarkets. Our cakes can also be found at the IKEA stores
in the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, the Czech
Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hong
Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Malaysia, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain (including the Canary Islands),
Switzerland, Taiwan and USA. Soon they will be available also in Australia"

...maybe we can work with the company to make their more available in the
US, I am planning to send an e-mail to them.
Especially as we are living in a city without IKEA.

To find IKEA locations: http://www.ikea-usa.com/

...and I certainly have no commercial interest in this company, I only know
it from Europe and like to go there.

Have a great day

Imke
Phoenix, AZ