From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 22:02:14 -0700

I spoke with the Butterball Company today and they stated that the fresh
Split Chicken Breast with chicken broth are in fact gf.  HOWEVER, after
receiving multiple emails from others saying "beware" I think I'm going
to use a different brand.

Thanks for all your emails.

Jill/Texas
Here's a few responses from readers:

Id be careful...their turkey is not gf...better to use tyson chicken or
empire [kosher] also gf.  Watch out for Perdue..there are natibiotics in
the chicken feed...my daughter got a BAD rash from it.

I wouldn't dare eat them. That broth Will have wheat in it.

I called them about their chicken thighs (also enhanced with broth) and
was informed that all their fresh chickens and turkeys were GF.  They
were quite helpful via the phone.

I don't know for sure, but they put so much stuff in there I wouldn't
touch it. I've always steered clear of any butterball stuff, and lots of
ham, turkey breast and chicken breast are flavored with gluten.

I dont know about Butterball, but I have called Tysons using the 800
number on the bag of chicken breasts that I buy at Sam's.  It is
enhanced with chicken broth and is GF.   At least there is an 800
number, and you can find out the information right away.  If you have a
Sam's, I suggest you try them.  I think they come in 3 lb and 10 lb bags.