From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:33:30 EDT

I am posting this to the list for the benefit of someone who is not a
subscriber.  Therefore I ask that all replies be sent directly to him
at the e-mail addresses listed below.  I will write separately and ask
him to summarize any responses he gets for the benefit of the list.

-- Jim Lyles, [log in to unmask], Holly, Michigan, USA

**A little history--diagnosed in 1989 with Celiac Sprue and in 1990 with
IgA deficiency. In 1990, was seen at Mass. General and told that the
biopsy taken in 1989 did not really show sprue. This doctor claimed that
the IgA deficiency was the problem plus possible milk intolerance.
Suggested going off the gluten-free diet for awhile but hesitated to do
this as diet was working well.  Asthma was acting up.  Remained on
gluten-free diet (very, very strict) until asthma started up again this
past year.  Did know that cheese, milk and soy was a problem.

Problem now is WHAT TO EAT!!!  Any suggestions???  Have been living on
Chicken, potatoes, fresh vegatable and Ener-G Rice Bread plus occ. beef
dinners.  Chicken is a staple!  But here's what I recently learned from
my allergist:

>Just got back from the allergist.......they aren't any better, but
>worse.  Trees, grasses and molds kill me..  Weeds forget it.  Dogs and
>cats are not a problem, just don't have any indoor pets.  Now foods,
>went off the scale with wheat, rye, barley, rice, eggs, nuts, fish,
>shellfish and SOYBEANS (I knew it).  Chicken was 3+.  She wants me to
>avoid these for a month.  I told her that I will be 145 lbs when I see
>her again.  No rice, or eggs!!!!!!!!!!  Not a bit allergic to Oats.
>May do a Celiac/Oats challenge.  I also have to get some covers for my
>bed, know of any good prices.
>
>She has me on claritan, Flovent inhaler, Duratuss (for my itch buildup
>in my throat) and kept me on Alomide.  Asked me to think about getting
>shots again. She recommended that I go see a gastro guy....

I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions.  I'm away from home
right now, so please write to me at these addresses:

   [log in to unmask]           (currently visiting in Rhode Island)
   [log in to unmask]  (my mom's Rhode Island address)
   [log in to unmask]        (my home address in Alabama)