From:
Linda C Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 13:25:32 -0500

Hello Anita,
You wrote in part:

> 80% gf,maintaining my weight & feeling ok-that's
>satisfactory.  He doesn't feel the increased cancer risk is a big threat
>and kind of said the only problem with not being gf is the diarrhea, he
>gave me a prescription for immodium and said to take 2-8 daily even on
>days
>I don't have diarrhea to control it.  When I mentioned to him the lengths
>to which people on the list go to in striving to be 100% gf he referred to
>it as fanatical.

Like Bill, I am not a doctor or professional in the area of CD, but first
of all let me say that I agree with his post more than 100%, just from
the "research" and reading I have done for my personal education in
controlling my disorder.

Secondly, who wants to be 80% and only feeling 80% well if they can
strive to achieve 100%...I would much rather my symptoms of CD were
controlled by diet and not Immodium or any other drug for that matter.
Not to mention the other effects that Celiac has on the body, for me it
was like constantly having "morning sickness" and over time I also
developed DH, not to mention major bone density loss that ended in
pathological fractures of 6 vertebrae that were so bad they had to be
removed and replaced with steel rods and donor bone. (I was over 20 years
trying to get properly diagnosed). If my controlling my disorder in order
to remain healthy and out of the hospital is fanatical then so be it,
those that know and care understand (they have gotten used to having me
around.)Is  this doctor aware of how ill we can feel after ingesting
gluten, does he have personal knowledge of CD, DH, and the related
complications, it does not appear that way to me.

Linda Holmes--GF (striving to be 100%) in Maine, USA