From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:18:52 -0500

Well here we are and what we think about dating!  Thank you to all who
responded!  I feel so much better because after reading them all - dating
is basically still the same and although a few added challenges it may even
be better in the sense that you get a quicker insight into your date’s
character!

Ø The majority of us are in our 40’s but several in our 20’s, 30’s and 50’s
and then a few who didn’t disclose (but no trend here).

Ø The majority of us are dating but there are a few of us who have stopped
because it’s too difficult or no opportunities.  Some of us have lost
significant relationships because of celiac, which is sad but this may be a
hidden blessing (don’t give up hope)!

Ø The majority of us believe in disclosing celiac upfront early on in the
relationship.  There are several that delay discussion by doing non-eating
dates and just a few that say they have an allergy because it’s easier.

Ø A few of us have stopped dating – just too difficult! No - this disease
is not easy but then that which does not kill us (and if you’re on the diet
you can say this) will only make us stronger!!!

Ø Most of us will talk about it but minimally and usually gauge it by the
interest of our date – by the questions asked. Those dates that just don’t
get it – get scared away or are just plain mean are not worth our time and
definitely not a partner we would want to be with! Discussing our condition
early on and observing our date’s reaction (in terms of compassion,
empathy, understanding and patience) can give us a quick gauge on our
date’s character!

Ø A few of us would like to meet other celiacs!  Someone out there, with
time, needs to think about starting an online “challenging dating” site
(probably would have to expand to other diseases/limitations since we’re a
minority in the USA and if we’re already in our 40’s then the probability
of meeting another celiac and falling in love is most likely zero –
personally I’m waiting for lightening to strike – sick humor)?

Ø Several of us (myself included) are grateful for our disease (or should
we say diagnosis) – we are getting healthier every day and eating like
Kings & Queens – although cooking like servants (sick humor again – sorry)!

Ø Most of us are still very careful when ordering food while on dates –
this is about our health not someone else’s feelings!

Some additional words of wisdom were:
Ø Don’t play games! Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy!
Ø Focus on the date not yourself or the disease!
Ø Don’t make a big deal of it and they won’t!
Ø Remember – kissing can be a problem!  I guess ask your date to brush
their teeth and rinse!
Ø Be Positive – Confident – Non-Apologetic!!!