Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:11:36 EDT

Hi listmates
Thanks so much for your helpful advice so quickly - we went to The Greek
Islands in Chicago.  They were very helpful even though we went at a very busy
time on a Saturday night!  That morning I called ahead and I asked about the
menu.  Since my daughter LOVES soup I asked and unfortunately there was orzo in
the soup, and one of you prewarned me about orzo, which is rice shaped wheat
pasta.  Many of you recommended the saganaki, which is flaming cheese, but at
this restaurant the cheese was coated in flour. (No OPPA for her!)  I brought a
cheese stick and that seemed to satisfy her.  We did bring along a gf english
muffin to eat while the others enjoyed the wheat bread and olive oil.  We
ordered the Greek salad and she devoured the tomatoes in it!  She ordered the
shrimp with tomato sauce and feta cheese over rice - after picking out all the feta
it was OK to her taste.  For dessert she had the rice pudding, which was
delicious!  I also brought along a slice of gf chocolate cake and I'm glad I did
because others at the table ordered wheat chocolate cake and since my daugher
is a chocoholic she would have been upset.  So all in all it was a very
successful evening out!  Thanks.

Here is a summary of the greek foods recommended by listmates:
Greek Salad - lettuce, cucumber, red onion, olives, feta cheese, pepper, oil
and vinegar.

Skordalia -  a potato-garlic sauce that is spread on bread - bring gf bread
or crackers.
Hummus dip - made with garbanzo beans, tahini [ground roasted sesame seeds],
lemon, garlic, olive oil - dip veggies into it, or corn chips.

Eggplant appetizers (roasted eggplant, blended with other ingredients)

Tsatziki - a cucumber dip made with yogurt or sour cream that is spread on
bread.

Saganaki - flaming cheese (usually kasseri or kefalotiri),  spread on bread.
makes quite an impression on presentation.

Dolmades - grapevine leaves that are stuffed with ground meat, onions, and
rice, cooked in broth

Fish - if prepared without a flour dusting and sautéed in olive oil.

Grilled lamb chops seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano

souvlaki (meat that is marinated in oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt,
pepper, and oregano)

Baked chicken with Greek seasonings and potatoes

Stefatho, which is a slow-cooked dish of meat or chicken with tomatoes,
onions, garlic, bay leaves, vinegar, and pickling spices.

'chicken ariganato' - a chicken and potato dish with olive oil and lemon
juice and spices

stewed lamb (leg of lamb or lamb shank), stewed in tomato sauce and herbs

Side Dishes - rice and potatoes fresh cooked vegetable

Desserts - Rice pudding and caramel custard (crema caramella)
Yogurt served usually with honey and nuts

AVOID:  Pita bread
Orzo - rice shaped macaroni
Anything in filo
Tiropeta (cheese pies) and spanikopeta (spinach pie) are made with filo
dough.
Pastichio - (baked meat and pasta) is made with elbow macaroni.
Mousaka - (baked eggplant with meat) eggplant often dusted w/ flour, sauce
may contain flour.
Keftdedes - meatballs, often made with bread.
Yiouvetsi - baked lamb and noodles (often orzo).
Baklava - made with filo dough.

Like at any restaurant verify that all ingredients (especially broth) are
fresh and gluten free.  Ask if meat is dredged in flour before frying or stewing.

Thanks again for your quick responses & support.
Peace,
Amy Grabowski, Chicago, IL area, USA