Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:30:20 -0500

Thanks to everyone for your great recommendations in England and Ireland.
We had a wonderful trip I ate very well.  Below are some of the highlights I
would highly recommend to anyone traveling to London or Dublin and eating
gluten free.

London Highlights:

1. Da Mario's Covent Garden, 63 Endell Street, London 020-7240-3632.  Lovely
Italian restaurant with gluten free pasta.  They prepared a gluten-free
eggplant parmesan as an appetizer.

2. Waitrose and Budgen's - Supermarkets.  I bought a ton of great products
including gluten-free croissants, tea biscuits, cookies, delicious bars,
curry sauces, chutneys and dessert sauce.

3. Indian Food - We ate at 2 different Indian restaurants, I avoided the nan
and other bread-like items.  While none of the curries were thickened with
flour I can't be sure that they checked for modified food starch or hidden
sources like that, I didn't get sick though.

4. Pret - sandwich shops that are located everywhere.  Ask the staff to pull
up what is gluten-free or check it out on their website before you go.  I
had a gluten-free soup and breadless sandwich (that was pre-packaged as a
low-carb meal).

5. wagamama's - chain restaurant of noodle shops.  At first glance at the
menu I thought I could never eat at a place like this, but they had a
gluten-free menu.  While it had just a few selections on it I had a
delicious coconut milk and curry rice noodle soup.

Dublin Highlights:

1. Roly's Bistro, 7 Ballsbridge Terrace, 353-1-668-2611 - Fantastic
restaurant where one of the chef's has celiac disease.  All of the sauces
are made gluten-free and they had gluten-free bread.  It's about a 5 minute
cab ride from Dublin's city centre, and they can call you a cab when you are
leaving.  It's actually located across the street from the American
embassy.  The food was delicious and the ambiance is very nice for a nice
night out.

2. Fitzers, we ate at the Temple Bar location however they are a chain with
2 other locations 40 Temple Bar Square 01-679-0440 www.fitzers.ie.
Traditional bistro/pub fare in a family-friendly kind of restaurant.  Their
menu was clearly marked either items were suitable for celiacs or adaptable
for celiacs.  About 2/3 of the items were available for celiacs.

3. Cornucopia - 19 Wicklow Street, 01-677-7583.  Vegetarian cuisine.  Very
casual there is no seating it's cafeteria style.  All items are clearly
marked if they are gluten-free.  They even had gluten-free bread.  This was
a great lunch stop it's right off of the main shopping street, Grafton
Street.  It's very reasonably priced for lunch.  Getting a table at the
prime hour can be a bit difficult.

4. Shanahan's on the Green - 353-1-407-0939.  NY style steakhouse.  While
this restaurant does not have any gluten-free markations.  I had a wonderful
steak and they were able to check on the ingredients in everything else and
adopt things to not have gluten.  There was some confusion where one waiter
thought they might have gluten-free bread but they did not, if that's
important to you I might call a day ahead and request some.

5. Generally wherever we went to eat people were familiar with the concept
of gluten-free and able to inform me what I could eat.

6. Barnie's Coffee Shop - On Grafton Street sells gluten-free packaged
cookies.

7. Marks and Spencer - had in their coffee shop area the best gluten-free
muffin I have ever had.  It was a double chocolate chunk.

8. Tesco's - purchased gluten-free muffins.