From:
dave taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:39:19 -0500

Listmates:

I have had 2 responses to my post concerning Chincoteague, Virginia and
possible "safe" places to eat.  I had no responses or recommendations from
any of our members, but I did receive two requests for further information
should I find anything of interest.  I also posted to the only restaurant
with an e-mail address, and the Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce. The
results were only slightly encouraging.

  The owner of Don's Seafood (the restaurant with an e-mail address) sent a
reply saying they would be happy to discuss their menu with me upon arrival
and work to produce an acceptable meal. Phone number (757) 336-5715.

The Chamber of Commerce recommended 2 restaurants that may be able to help,
including The Blackboard Bistro which "prepares very healthy meals and
specializes in special dietery requests", according to the CoC. "By
reservation only", and "will need your requirements in advance".  Phone
(757) 336-6187.

In addition, Captian Fishes Steaming Wharf was also recommended by the CoC
for their "wide variety of steamed platters". Phone (757) 336-5528.

One last recommendation of my own from four previous, and pre-CD, trips is
the Pony Pines Restaurant. Perhaps a little more expensive than the others,
but also possibly better prepared to recognize gluten based materials. Phone
(757) 336-9746.

The Chamber of Commerce seemed to think that gluten free meant "without
seasonings". Guess I'll have to send a second message explaining exactly
what GF means.  I did mention spices as one of many possible concerns, but
it was also clearly stated that I must avoid wheat, oats, rye and barley.

I think, just to be safe, I'll take a croc-pot and a skillet.  We'll have a
microwave, 2 burner hotplate and a refrigerator, so we could cook our own
meals. But Mom deserves a vacation too, so we're looking forward to at least
a few meals out.

I hope this helps those of us that find our way to sunny Chincoteague.  At
least the beach is GF.   DT