From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:24:47 EST

Two responses I received regarding dextrin:

See the excellent site www.celiac.com, specifically the "Safe and
Forbidden Lists" page: http://www.celiac.com/forbiden.html
Dextrin appears on the forbidden list because depending on the source,
it _may_ be derived from a gluten-containing grain.  See the extensive
footnote there.

The following quote is from Scott Adams website, which I have found
particularly trustworthy: http://www.celiac.com/forbiden.html
My best. -vance

"Dextrin is an incompletely hydrolyzed starch. It is prepared by dry
heating corn, waxy maize, waxy milo, potato, arrowroot, WHEAT, rice,
tapioca, or sago starches, or by dry heating the starches after: (1)
Treatment with safe and suitable alkalis, acids, or pH control agents
and (2) drying the acid or alkali treated starch. (1) Therefore, unless
you know the source, you must avoid dextrin. "

FOOTNOTE: I'll be contacting Burger King to ask their source. However, I also
received an email from a gal in Tennessee that said she checked the
ingredients at her local BK and the fries there contain dairy products and
dextrin! Not so in NJ. I guess only an inquiry directly to BK will tell the
whole story.