From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 17:59:01 -0400

Had some ingredients and put this together tonight...Chicken came out just like P.F.Chang's. Feel free to substitute wherever your creativity (and frig contents) lead you.

Spicy Chicken
Cut enough boneless chicken breasts for 4 people, into large chunks. Lightly coat with gf flour, such as Hagman's mix. Then coat in spicy duck sauce.
Note: I use Gold's Original Duck Sauce, but I have never seen Gold's sauces on any gf list, nor have I contacted the company. They're kosher for Passover...and don't have any matzah products in them (wheat), so I've used them for years with confidence. Use your judgement.
Check your the sauce. If it's not a spicy variety, you may need to add some sprinkles of hot pepper or a drizzle of spicy oil....but beware, Gold's duck sauces are hot.
Heat up some oil (I used olive, but peanut or vegetable oil will do) in a wok or large frying pan. Saute the chicken in the oil until done. Stir frequently.
Note: the coating will get alittle gelatinous (jelly), but it gets better as it cooks.
Another note: I  kept washing my spoon, because initially, the chicken is raw, and I didn't want to keep reintroducing germs to the dish.

Vegetable dish:
Stir fry in a large pot or deep frying pan or wok....I use olive oil, but peanut or vegetable oil is fine.
3 cloves garlic, smashed and diced....more or less
1 med. eggplant. Peel and dice...large chunks are fine. (I don't salt and drain. I try to buy eggplants that feel light, so they don't have a lot of bitter seeds inside. There is also a way to tell if it's male or female...I believe the female has more seed, but I forgot the trick.)
2 med. onions--slice or diced as you like
1 red bell pepper and 1 green bell pepper (or any combination, both were just slightly under medium size...but use what you have)
1 pkg. of button mushrooms, diced
salt, pepper, as you like....
few shakes of hot pepper flakes, if you like it hot..
gf soy sauce....I'm guessing, maybe 2-3 tablespoons...no need to be exact.
Secret ingredient....a tablespoon or two of sugar.
Stir this often. Cook down until veggies are just cooked...not mush. Eggplant will go first.
(Note, if I had any of the following veggies in the frig, they might have ended up in the pot...stringbeans, broccoli, asparagus....whatever.)
All you need now is some cooked white rice, and you've got a generous meal for 4. This is not a meal for those who have to eat bland food. The chicken was definitely was as good as P.F. Chang's, even though I didn't start out trying to copy it.

Enjoy. Lin