From:
Robin Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:31:11 -0400

I have gotten both good and bad vibes on the Stoli. I think I might switch
over to Skyy Vodka just in case there might be a problem. Here is some of
the Comments I received back.

It is generally accepted that "distilled" liquor is gluten-free.  There has
been recent research on this published on this listserv.

my understanding is that distilling process breaks down the gluten - you
only have to worry if gluten-containing ingredients are added in after
distillation.

As long as the wheat was only used during the
distillation process, then it should be GF. The
extracts added in after distillation should be more of
a concern.

No, you're reading the label correctly. The current thinking is that even
alcohol made with grain  is rendered gluten-free by going through the
distillation process. And, in fact, all alcohols such as whisky, bourbon,
vodka, etc. are considered safe for those with celiac in Canada. But in the
US, some people still advise caution with any liquor other than tequila
(made strictly from cactus), rum (from sugar cane), and vodka made only from
potatoes (there are a couple of brands). I have not had a problem drinking
grain-based vodka myself. However, if you are very concerned, especially if
you tend not to react when ingesting gluten, I'd stay away from the Stoli
brand.

This is also the first time I have posted to the list and now am doing a
summary for the first time. Please forgive me if I've done anything wrong.
Thanks
Robin