From:
Susana Reyes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susana Reyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:43:23 -0400

Thanks to everyone for their information and personal experiences. I will be
sure to share my experience if I decide to go. Too bad we can't get a large
celiac group to go....power to the masses!
Summary 1:
I went to Alaska on Holland America. I called them prior to the start of mytrip,
they were very cordial and hospitable. I had gf breads and muffinsevery meal.
I had desserts that looked like everyone else's if not better.My entrees were
as appealing to look at and as delicious as every member ofthe trip. It was a
delightful trip, the first one after being diagnosed andI never had any side
effects, I had a biopsy shortly thereafter as a followup to my diagnoses and
there was absolutely no damage to my villi. I thinkyou will be safe traveling
with them. Have a wonderful trip.
*****
I've traveled with them several times.  Just see your dining room supervisor
upon arrival.  Trust me...they're ready for you.  And that includes not only
dinner in the dining room, but pasta, pizza, etc. on the buffet line.  You need
to make some arrangements, but they have GF pastas, etc, displayed right up
there with the regular stuff.  Have your travel agent call the line as far ahead
as you can and they'll send you a form to pre-select how many pancakes,
muffins, toasts, etc. you anticipate eating that week so they can include you
in the amount for the usual several folks who are GF per cruise.
****
I had one great and one horrible experience with HAL. I went 3 weeks after I
was diagnosed on the Maasdam. I had no time to preplan. It was a great
experience. I had GF bread, sauces, cake etc. Always had Knicknick English
muffins for breakfast.Everyone was wonderful.
Two years later I sent in the diet form months before we sailed. We sailed on
the Statendam. The servers were rude, had no idea what I was talking about.
They did things like bringing a salad with croutons and then going to the
serving station and taking them off and trying to reserve the salad.
During "Baked Alaska" night, I was told that was the only dessert they served.
The servers were rude every morning when I requested bread/ muffins with
breakfast. They were willing to make the most god awful mealy pancakes you
ever tasted. They kept telling me I had to pre-order to get GF food and I kept
telling them I had.
So I say it absolutely depends on the boat. I am going this summer on the
new Eurodam. I have already talked to HAL, faxed my form and will continue
to follow up. The rest of both cruises was great. Loved the boat, the shore
excursions etc. But I do want to be able to eat.
*****
I'm afraid I'm not a fan of Holland America.  On my only cruise attempt I found
that even though gluten free food was brought aboard, the kitchen staff don't
have a clear idea of the need for diligence and often added condiments to the
table that were definitely not gluten free.  Also the times when the dining
rooms were closed, the staff at the buffet area weren't too aware of what
gluten free meant. Oh, just remembered, the day I boarded, the food taken on
at the port hadn't yet been unpacked, so meal #1 wasn't  too good.  But the
very worst was that I got "the bug" and was quarantined to my room and
believe me, the room service staff a)didn't speak English & b) had no
information from the dining room staff about my need for gluten free dry toast
and gluten free broth.  I got $ back from Holland America & have no plans to
take any cruise in the near or far future.

*****
I, too, am planning a cruise with Holland America and would appreciate it if
you could summarize your findings. My travel agent sent me a "Gluten Free
Request Form" which once filled out will be forwarded to Holland America. The
choices on this sheet include, muffins, pasta, desserts, pizza, etc. Sounds
good!