From:
Margaret Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 13:39:55 -0700

After consulting with another graduate student who needs a good dose of
chocolate and sugar to get through a hard day at school, the following
brownie recipe is being made available. I don't use the nuts, however,
using real GF ingredients and substitute nothing else, these are
wonderful!

For one 9in x 13in pan's worth:

3/4 cup butter or margarine  (biff!)
3/4 cup cocoa powder   (pow!)
2 1/4 cup sugar   (zowie!)
4 eggs  (I haven't tried an egg subst., but it may work)
2 teaspoons vanilla     (you know, the safe kind)
1 1/3 cup GF flour      (used Bette H's mix plus Xanthan Gum)
1 cup chopped nuts      (if desired)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 deg. F
Grease (not oil) and lightly *cocoa* (instead of flour) 9"x13" pan. In
large sauce pan, melt margarine/butter with cocoa over low heat,
stirring constantly (actually, I just put the cocoa and butter in a
bowl, stick it in the microwave for a couple of minutes, 'til the
butter's melted, then stir with a fork 'til it's mostly smooth - don't
wear yourself out). Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Blend in sugar.
Beat in eggs, one at a time.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Spread in prepared pan. (it should be pretty thick and sticky at this
point - the batter, not the pan!)

Bake at 325 deg. F and check after 20-25 minutes (I use a stoneware pan
and it takes about 10 minutes longer than in a metal pan). I consider
them done when whatever is stuck in the middle to check for doneness
(toothpick, butterknife, whatever's handy) comes up a bit moist, but not
with a great deal of chocolate adhering to it. I'm aiming for a slightly
gooey middle and somewhat cake-like edges. It's safe to say that they
will not be done before 20 minutes unless your oven really cooks on the
hot side.

These are guaranteed to keep the kids (and adults) buzzing until well
into the night, but it won't otherwise desturb their celiac insides.

I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding the ingredients. Enjoy!
--
Margaret Pratt                E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Toxicology Program          http://www.orst.edu/~prattm/