Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 01:37:08 -0400

After doing a lot of reading, I am convinced that I have this Celiac
related rash.  Started when I was 9 years old ( it took them 35 years
to finally dx me with Celiac!).  It is also called Duhrings Disease
if I remember correctly.

In any case, my question:
I was told (at 9) after having a horrible rash, bilateral, knees and
elbows, that I had a rare disease ( 1 out of 100,000).  I was told I
was stranger still as I was way too young for the disease- that it
was supposed to only happen in adults.  In any case, I have no memory
of what the doctor called it, but he described it as an intolerance
to iodine.  I was put on a mostly iodine free diet ( you need iodine
so I had to have some!) and after a couple of months the rash started
to slowly disappear.  I stayed on the diet for about 2 years and then
slowly reintroduced the foods.  I eliminated quite a long list of
foods, as I remember some of them were:
fish/seafood
tomatoes
bananas
peas
sausage
chocolate.....

Is there another disease that involves iodine as a food allergy/
intolerance?  Or am I correct that it was DH way back then?  The rash
has returned (a couple of years ago) and it's on my elbows and
scalp.....
so another question:
Once I am GF, how long on average does it take for the rash to go
away?  Should I eliminat iodine again?

thanks,
Yvonne
"Never go to a Doctor whose office plants have died" Erma Bombeck