From:
Blau Zahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 22:50:31 -0600

>From Julie Sahni's _Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking_ (p.61):

 "Durum wheat is reserved for making semolina (sooji)..."

Besan flour is from chickpeas, although I'm not sure how pure it is...
In the next couple of weeks I'll see about the rice flour, I haven't
had noticable problems with it (I think?)... I've had bad reactions to
something described to me as "corn flour" -- apparently it was mixed
with wheat flour.

The above cookbook is a good introduction to cooking Indian food.  Its
beginning includes a detailed description of various ingredients
commonly used. Many of the recipes are (or very easily made)
gluten-free. Many are also lactose/etc-free. Its only drawback is that
it doesn't index things by their Indian names.

She's also written another cookbook having to do with meats, but I
haven't really looked at it...

Als