From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:52:04 -0700

Until we get more doctors taking this a bit more seriously, so many people
will continue to suffer.  Just last weekend a good friend of mine who's a
doc/researcher at the NIH made it clear that he
thinks CD is sort of a fluffy diagnosis, and over-diagnosed.  Another doctor
who was listening in agreed.  Granted, this is not their field, but I was
appalled to hear that kind of blatant dismissal.  It makes me wonder how
many more docs feel that way. Amy
------------------------------
I have similar situation in my family. My father developed schizophrenia in
his early 50-ies. I was about 14 years old that time. My life was turned to
disaster. You have to live trough that to understand it. Now I can see, he
has typical symptoms of CD. My mother suffering all life with digesting
disorders. Anyway after those years I realized that gluten is evil of most
human suffering. Discovering effect of Zonulin on intestine permeability is
supporting my opinion. I think it is most valuable discovery since
microorganism. One of my sons also developed schizophrenia in his late
20-ies. You understand haw shock I went tough When he was hospitalized my
opinion to test him for CD was taken as a joke. They refused to provide him
with GF diet. Nice well educated young man turned to animal – literary.  In
same time my wife passed away waiting for surgery for removing tumor from
pituitary gland. It was another negligence of doctors by makes her waiting
for surgery 2 years. After her death I took my son home providing him with
GF diet. His condition improved significantly, but he is still not able to
function properly return to work. His psychiatrist still denies link gluten
to schizophrenia. In my opinion those doctors what can’t accept facts are
criminals and they should be treated as such. I am surprise that nobody
started law suite against governments for not providing information about
toxicity of gluten on human body. Most of health disorders blamed on smoking
tobacco and air pollution is cause by gluten, which depress immune system.
Than any bacteria and viruses has free ride. We both have something in
common; we both hate that stuff called gluten and  we both try to do
something about it to recognize its effect on human health. I have other
problem in my family. My oldest son’s wife has officially diagnosed mother
with CD. She ignores it. When I found out about CD (the hard way), he
started to be GF. But all in his wife’s family made jokes of him; so he gave
up the diet. Since that they have 3 children. I begging them to get tested
those kids, but with no success. They barely speak to me because of this
issue. “I know about two infinities; universe and human stupidity, but I am
not sure about universe”. Albert Einstein said.   Kevin
-------------------------
Dana wrote:   Actually, CD and schizophrenia ARE closely related.  Dohan did
a bunch of studies on this in the 1960s.  I have a chapter that deals with
it in my 2nd book, "Wheat-Free, Worry-Free:  The Art of Happy, Healthy,
Gluten-Free Living."  (It also talks about other behavioral issues
associated with CD and gluten sensitivity.) Danna

I replied: Thanks, Dana, I mailed a copy of WFWF to my neice, a beautiful
young mother who is struggling with mental illness.  What frustrates me, is
that we, those who recognize the impact of gluten in health & mental
illness, are regarded as just another little cult group! The mindset of most
MDs is "it's not a real disease if I can't prescribe a pill for it."  That
mindset was given them by their educators -- the pharmaceutical industry.
Don't think for a moment that that multibillion dollar industry is going to
be outdone by a diet!

Mark my words, Danna.  When they do invent a pill for celiac disease, it
will suddenly become the most urgent & publicized health crisis of the
century!  And we're going to hear ad nauseum how the diet just doesn't work
as well as their pill.

Valerie Wells RN  (I've been inside the sausage factory of conventional
medicine & had a look around.  I know what those sausages are made of!  It's
pretty gross!)

Dana replied:  I'm with ya, girlfriend -- and what's REALLY bad is not only
will those doctors prescribe a pill (that doesn't work as well as the diet,
but they'll claim it's superior because they'll have a multi-billion-dollar
ad campaign SAYING it is), but people will be clamoring for this inferior
pill, even though the gluten-free diet is AWESOME and the key to our better
health (how amazing!).

Sometimes I tell people that yes, there's a pill for CD.  It works great,
but only if you take it in conjunction with the GF diet.  Believe it or not,
they STILL want the STUPID PILL!

Your sister in frustration....
D.