From:
"Elizabeth B. Frierson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 19:41:35 -0500

I am sorry for that last long posting.  I've become all too accustomed
to long lectures for an audience of colleagues or undergrads with rapt
expressions... okay, okay, glazed expressions is more like it.  In any
case, it doesn't seem to be getting across re. copyright that I'm _not_
proposing we post recipes w/o permission!  I'm posing questions about what
is very new territory for me at least, and I'm happy to be instructed by
those more sophisticated in the issue, for ex. that posting carries legal
ramifications, and that Fair Use doesn't apply at the moment to the net,
but please, no more scolding!  Traffic court is surely too horrible a
fate for hapless net neophytes!

Anyway, by way of apology and attempted recompense, here is a Southern
cornbread recipe and a Vidalia onion pie recipe from my kitchen, my
mother's kitchen, my grandmother's kitchen, and so forth -- not a cook-
book in sight.  I hope some of you find them of use and pleasure.

Salt-crust cornbread
Melt in an iron griddle or round baking tin (as heavy as possible)
        4-6 Tbsp. margarine (if unsalted, add 1/4 tsp. salt).
Keep the pan hot until the moment you pour in the batter, in a 425 degree
oven.
Mix together    3/4 c. cornmeal
                1-1/4 c. gluten-free flour mix
                1 tsp. salt
                3 tsp. baking powder
                [optional:  1-4 Tbsp. brown or white sugar; honey will burn]
Stir together   2 eggs/1 pkg eggbeaters
                3/4 c. milk/water
                [optional:  1 tsp. vanilla]
QUICKLY, add melted margarine, leaving a good Tbsp. in the pan, and put
pan back in oven.  Mix the wet ingredients and add to the dry ingredients
and beat together with a few quick strokes.  Pour into pan and bake for
about 25 minutes, depending on your oven.  The trick to getting a crunchy,
salty crust, is keeping the pan hot and leaving that bit of oil in the pan.
Some say that vanilla and sugar make this northern and not cornbread, but
we like it fine either way.

Vidalia Onion Pie
Make a cracker-crumb or bread-crumb crust, and pat into a pie plate.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Saute one large vidalia or other sweet onion in 4-8 Tbsp. margarine
(thin slices of onion) until translucent.  Spread across crust.
Mix a custard of 2 eggs to every cup of milk to the amount necessary
to fill your pie plate, w/ 1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste) and pour over
the onions.  Bake until set, 30-40 minutes.
This makes a very sweet onion tart, and the onion flavor soaks into
the bread crumbs while you mix the custard.

Two recent successes in the kitchen have been the flourless souffles
in Joy of Cooking, with eggbeaters instead of egg yolks, very quick;
and the walnut cake/le Saint-Andre in Julia Child & Simone Beck, Mastering
the Art of French Cooking, Vol. 2, with a straight substitution of Bette
Hagman's gf flour mix for the 1/3 c. of wheat flour in the recipe.  Their
cornstarch cake, a.k.a. Le Glorieux, truly is glorious for those who like
very large and intensely chocolate truffles attempting to pass as cakes.
I have not given p. #'s bec. they vary by edition and hard or soft cover.

All the best,
Elizabeth