From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:58:50 -0500

Barbara Gaumond wrote:

>put the following items in order, high to low, according to
>the amount of gluten they contain.

>12 people said, Bread, All Purpose, Pastry, Cake
>8 people said, Bread, All Purpose, Cake, Pastry

First there is no question that the answer is one of these two. Bread has
the most, as you want it to be doughy, and cake flour has less, as you want
it to crumble. And all purpose is in between the two. But how pastry and
cake flour rank isn't so obvious. So I asked Don Kasarda, a wheat protein
expert that has a bunch of things in this list's archives. He replied with:

According to Wheat: Chemistry and Technology, 1991

Pastry flour protein contents usually range from 8.5-9.5% protein and cake
flours usually range from 7.0-8.25% protein.

Don.