From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:41:29 -0500

While Hamantashen have an ethnic tradition, they're nothing more than a cookie with a jam filling, and this recipe is easy to make. I've even made them with toddlers.

The Split Second version of the cookies was handed down from my husband's great-grandmother, although her recipe called for a glass of this and a pinch of that, and it wasn't gluten-free. An aunt converted it to usable quantities, and I made it gluten-free. Great-grandma would not comprehend that I'm using her Split Seconds dough for Hamantashen or for ruglelach (rolled up cookie), but somewhere along the way, I discovered, it works.

My husband and I just followed a tradition of having guests over every night for nearly a week....condolence calls for my husband, whose mother just passed away. (Shiva) I wanted to honor his mom by making the Split Seconds, so I baked a huge batch of them and the Hamantashen version, and everyone raved about them....without knowing they were gluten-free.  Passed the non-gluten-person test with flying colors.

The Hamantashen and Ruglelach versions freeze and ship very well. Split Seconds do too, if you don't make the groove too thin. And these cookies tend to taste even better a day or two later, especially if you're using your own mix with gritty rice flours.

How to make this gluten-free:
If using Pamelas or another all-purpose gf mix, read the labels. You may not have to add baking powder (or just add less), and they usually contain guar or xanthan gum, which is good.

If I'm out of the all-purpose mix, I use Bette Hagman's oldest mix.  She used a blend of 6 cups white rice flour, 2 cups potato starch, and 1 cup tapioca flour or starch.  When I use this in the recipe, I use 3 cups of the mix and 1 cup brown rice flour to give the dough a heartier flavor. And I add 2 tsps xanthan gum to the dry ingredients in the recipe.

.Hamantashen (Can also be Split Seconds)  Recipe can be doubled.
 Lightly grease cookie sheets. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together in mixer…not on high….1/3cup oil, 1/3 cup shortening and 1 cup sugar.

Add 3 beaten eggs and 1/2 cup orange juice.

 Mix dry ingredients  together, 4 cups flour, 3 tsps baking powder, 1 tsp salt (See note on gf flours, baking powder, & xanthan gum,)

 Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.

 Form small balls…walnut size or slightly larger…dip hands in flour, flatten each ball. Put a dab of filling on each circle and fold up sides…pinch three corners, to form a triangle.

 Bake approx. 20 min.

 Fillings….a 10 oz jar of fruit preserves will make about 30 cookies. The recipes says it makes 4 dozen cookies.  Depends upon the size of your circles.

Strawberry preserves or spreadable fruit tends to run out all over the cookie sheet unless you close up the triangle almost totally.

Choose filling that has more fruit, not a liquid.

You can also put aside a small amount of the cookie dough, mix in cocoa and use it as chocolate filler. Or use a few chocolate chips or a Hershey’s kiss as a filling.

 Traditional filling is prune or poppy seed mohn. I use pineapple and apricot most often.

 To make Split Seconds, one batch will make four long, flat "logs" on a cookie sheet.  Flatten to about ¼ inch. Make a slight indentation down the middle with the back of a spoon, and fill the groove with jam.  When cool on the cookie sheet, then slice into individual cookies. Cut crosswise, making slices. Do not make the groove very deep or cookie will break up.

To make Ruglelach, flatten the ball into a sort of triangular shape.  For a filling, use a mix of chopped nuts, raisins, chopped dried fruit, whatever you like, mixed with a little sugar and cinnamon. Put a spoonful of filling on the cooking, and roll the cookie, starting at a flat side,  so one tip of the triangle ends up on top. Sprinkle with more sugar and cinnamon.
 Bake as above.