From:
Mike Collinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:57:48 PST

I lived in Japan for eight years.  In response to Raplph's questions, here
are some tips:

#1  Apart from obvious things like western food and batter on tempura (fried
fish, seafood) these are the main things which have nasties in them:
        Ramen - a wheat based noodle. GF rice based noodles are called Somen.
        Soba - a buckwheat based noodle but unfortunately cheap ones (most)
also have wheat
        Crab sticks - a 3" long 1/3" wide stick of what purports to be crab,
white on inside, red on outside; often shredded and used in salad garnishes.
        SOY SAUCE
The last is the killer as it is in most things and is a vital condiment for
sushi and other dishes. In the US I understand there are GF soy sauces,
BRING A BOTTLE!

#2 As long as you are polite and apologetic in your demeanour, Japanese will
be very accommodating and kind.  As coeliac disease and gluten will be
unknown concepts, tell your hosts that you have a wheat allergy. In Japanese:
        Sumimasen,              koo-mugi-ko no  allergi oo motte-imasu.
        Excuse me/sorry         wheat           allergy    (I) am carrying.
(literal)
Pronounce each syllable as if it was Spanish.

You will no doubt be invited out in the evening and social drinking is very
important in business relationships.  The staple drinks are unfortunately
beer and misuwari (whiskey and water).  To show willing, try "nihonshu"
(a.k.a. sake, rice wine) hot or cold, hot is excellent in winter or "chuhai"
- a spirit called shochu well diluted with a mixer, lemonade being very
palatable.  You will score extra brownie points by being willing to try
Japanese drinks.

#3 There are many Seven Elevens and equivalent.  You can buy rice crackers
to substitute for bread.  They also have Onigiri which make an excellent
brown bag lunch - rice balls wrapped with seaweed and different centres,
usually fish based - they are much more appetising than they sound!

#4  If you are going to do serious buying of food from shops - get some one
to write down the kanji (Japanese characters) for ingredients and wheat
("kou-mugi-ko").  Japanese food labeling is strict in the format so you may
have luck in finding it on the package.

Best Regards,

Mike Collinson                          Email:  [log in to unmask]
Asia Data, Inc.                         Office Tel:  +63-2-810-6020
Metro Manila, PHILIPPINES               Office Fax:  +63-2-810-2623
                                        Home/Office Tel: 807-2270