From:
Serena Sundances <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:50:48 EDT

Dear Listmates,

I'm so frustrated that I've actually been doing worse since adhering strictly
to a gluten-free, lactose-free diet for 4 months.  I'm very close to adding
gluten to my diet again.  I'd love to hear some opinions.

I'll try to make this very short.

I was absolutely fine, no problems whatsoever, when I went to have outpatient
gyn surgery a year ago.  Because of a botched surgery, my intestines were
twisted and necrotizing for a couple days before having massive resections
done.  I now have @ 3ft of intestines left (that includes colon and all). So,
I have short bowel syndrome.  After having 15-20 BM's/day, and being told
this would be normal because of my SBS (short bowel syndrome), I still tried
to improve.  I was EXTREMELY lactose intolerant.  I asked to be tested for
Celiac Sprue.  I had the blood tests. IgA 20 (< 20 normal), IgG 70 (<20
normal), tissue transglutaminase also abnormal.  I thought this could be the
answer to my lactose intolerance, and possibly help with the diarrhea.  I
went on a very strict gluten-free diet in Feb. (also lactose free, of
course).  I have been much worse!  My BM's are MORE frequent, and even more
watery.

I'm wondering:

Is it possible that I got false positives on my antibody tests because of
other reasons besides celiac, such as  malabsorption (which I KNOW I have
because of the SBS) and other SBS-related  problems?  Do the tests I had done
actually test for celiac only, or for problems with digestive system that
celiac sprue can cause?

I called Dr. Fine's office, and the only other test they suggested for me was
the gene test.  If I take this test, and it comes back negative, can I assume
that I don't have celiac sprue?  Is there a way to rule out celiac sprue?

I realize I should be analyzing what new foods I've started eating since
being gluten-free, but can only come up with more rice products, but ones
that are "guaranteed" gluten-free.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'l love to hear them.  I'm getting so
frustrated.  I've wanted this gluten-free diet to work to help me feel better.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

- Serena