From:
Andrea Otken-Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 16:07:04 -0400

Greetings all!

Just back from Disney in Orlando (summary coming in the next couple of
days) and while I was there one of the EVIL restaurants got me hooked on
Tofutti ice cream...

I found some while I was in Orlando that was labelled
"No gluten added", so I bought some..
then I started eating it...and it said..

"May contain traces of gluten"..

I freaked out..but it didn't stop me from finishing it off..I figured if
I'd already eaten some, I might as well get REALLY sick, rather than
just sorta sick.. ;-)

I didn't get sick at all...no complications.

Now, in our house we are peanut allergic...anaphylaxis peanut allergic
(or so they say)...so if something says "May contain traces of peanuts"
or "processed on machinery with nut products" or something like that..I
run like the plague....

The question is...to Tofutti or not to Tofutti...they don't add
gluten..but how do we know that they're safe enough to eat? should I
give it to my kids...(It didn't make my one son sick either...but he's
never really been exposed to gluten so I don't know what he'd do if he
had some-my other son can have dairy..so he doesn't need to have a
sub)...

I know..some people say..well, to each his own...and we do that
SOMETIMES...like for example..I let my diagnosed son use Claritin..it
seems to help him..and the only potential contamination point is the
corn starch, which the majority of corn starch producers in the US
guarantee GF...so I'm ok with that...but I'm not sure what to do here...

So, I guess I'm asking for personal opinion and experience...
btw...if anyone has any ice "cream" (using something other than cow/goat
milk dairy), I'd love them...

Thanks!

Andrea