From:
Sylvia Smolorz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:48:30 -0500

Hello all,

I recently bought a copy of Mary Wachtel Mauksch's "Fabulous and Flourless"
cookbook, and after a close look at it, I regret it. Not because I dislike
the recipes, I tried one and it came out okay, but on principle grounds:
Not one recipe is flourless, or wheat-free! She advises to flour all the
pans with spelt flour, with the stupid excuse that people are less allergic
to it than to regular wheat, and her introduction mentions that some
recipes even have some spelt flour as an ingredient. She says if you can't
eat that you could try to substitute. Well, thanks so much, that's not what
I buy a wheatless cookbook for!

Don't get me wrong, it's not hard to do, the obvious solution is to dust
the pans with ground nuts, since these are used for all the recipes anyway.
My complaint is that Wachtel Mauksch didn't even invest the 5 seconds it
would take to realize that. And she has the audacity to angle for the
wheat-free market by subtitling the book "150 wheat and dairy-free
recipes"!  It's a lie, the recipes as printed are not wheat-free. She
didn't put in the least effort to make them wheat-free. That's the typical
wheat-eaters attitude "Oh, you can't have that? I don't know how to cook
without wheat, deal with it!" (No offense to the wheat-eating moms and
spouses on the list who do their best to feed a celiac, I know I'm
stereotyping, but I'm really upset).

I just hope I'll never get invited somewhere and offered a cake made with
"this special flour that you can eat", because they've read in the book
that spelt is okay.

Sylvia in Ithaca, NY (pretty ticked off)