From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 08:13:04 -0800

After eight years of this GF diet, and normal gluten reactions whenever I
get a slight touch of gluten, suddenly I do not appear to be reacting to
wheat. When "She Who Must Be Obeyed" was gone for a week recently I bought
another box of Van's Waffles. Ate one one morning, and two the next. She
she got home she looked in the freezer and it brought out her alternate
personality, the dreaded Darth. "Why are you suddenly buying whole wheat
waffles"? she asked in high dudgeon.

It seems I had eaten three whole wheat waffles with no reaction whatsoever.
Then three days ago I mistakenly took a bite (half the cookie :) of her
wheat made cookie before Darth appeared and stopped me. No reaction
whatsoever, even though I did take four papaya pills immediately after I
would have expected something. I know I did react strongly to any hint of
wheat at least a year ago, when I had my last major accident, that I knew
was wheat.

What I want to know is: Have any of you gone from normal celiac reactions
to wheat to no reactions within a year?

I figure it could be one of three things: 1. Vans had made a mistake and
put GF waffles in the wrong box (they say no that couldn't happen); 2. I
have celiac but now will not react to gluten (not a good situation); or 3.
I was never celiac, but was wheat intolerant, and as commonly happens with
this problem it can heal itself after long periods of strict avoidance of
wheat -- if you don't ever overdo the wheat again. -vance