From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:28:21 -0500

I want to thank the many people who responded.  The responses were wonderful
and supportive.  I'm dividing the summary into three messages:
1.  How folks determine the GF status of medicines,
2.  the GF status of Effexor, Claritin, Guiafenisin, and Flonase,
3.  the amount of time it takes a newbie GF dieter to feel 'normal' again.

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore

*********
1.  How folks determine the GF status of medicines
FREQUENCY OF RESPONSES
18 people said they contacted the drug manufacturer for gluten-free status.
Of these:
         9 people call the manufacturer themselves (one responder
specifically asks for a direct line to the lab because they are generally
familiar with gluten; this responder prefers not to talk to a customer
service rep)
            Sources of phone numbers:  Medication insert, Pharmacist,
Physician's Desk Reference (see pdr.net, pharmacist, doctor, public
library), Stokes Guide
         1 person has the prescribing doctor to ask the pharmacist the call
the manufacturer
         3 people have the pharmacist call the manufacturer
         1 person emailed the manufacturer via their website
6 people use the GF drug list at www.glutenfreedrugs.com
2 people use the Clan Thompson
2 people ask the pharmacist for the non-active ingredients
1 person uses the Stokes Pharmacy - Celiac Sprue, A Guide Through the
Medicine Cabinet
1 person uses a GF drug list that was provided by their Pharmacist
1 person checks with www.rxlist.com for drug ingredients and additives
1 person uses http://www.geocities.com/gluten_rx/

Interesting insights from responders:
Things to consider.  Some companies won't say for sure one way or the
other, claiming either the possibility of cross-contamination or they
cannot guarantee their supplies (things like food coloring, etc.).
********
I don't think it pays to by a book or guide that will soon be out of
date, and when you only have a few prescriptions. Postings to this list and
other forums are not a reliable source of information because the
information may be outdated, and often it is based on someone's speculation
based on their reactions instead of hard facts.
Also, watch out for generic substitutions. The generic will have a different
manufacturer, so gluten information obtained for the name brand may not
apply. If you get a generic, you will have to find out the manufacturer and
contact them separately. To make things easier on myself, I have asked my
pharmacist never to substitute generics on my prescriptions.
********
I [snipped text] am very tired of
companies that won't tell us what is in their
products.
********
You can't trust people on the list to give you accurate information
********
Stokes' Guide is not absolutely correct nor complete but they do list all of
the manufacturers and provide numbers to call.
********
My gastroenterologist, who diagnosed me with celiac, had me on a medication
that was not gf, which I discovered only because I called the manufacturer.
********
I ALWAYS find out what manufacturer makes the medication that the pharmacy
will use to fill the prescription and call the company before I fill the
script.  If it is not GF,  you can ask the doctor to prescribe another
substitute medication or have him/her write on the prescription "or GF
equivalent."
********
Always call the company that makes the prescription.  If you ask on this
list you may be buying it from a different company than the one the other
person is buying.
Go to the drug store with your prescription or call and ask them what
company they use.  Call the company and check into it yourself.  No doctor
or pharmacist will do this for you and you can't expect them to.  When you
Try to stick with one drug store so they know the problem
*********
I have found that it is not usually the drug at fault, but I have problems
with specific Pharmaceutical manufacturers.
For example, I can take Zantac made by any company except PARR.  That 's the

only drug I've run into problems with.
    You pretty much have to call the manufacturer to find out what the
"other" ingredients are.  Sometimes you can
tell from the package insert that the pharmacy gets with a shipment.
    The trouble is, not all pharmacists can identify gluten,
and even the contact at the manufacturer may not know
if they don't test their products for gluten.
********
Medications in the USA are one of our biggest challenges and contacting the
Pharmaceutical Company that makes a prescription medication is directly is
still your best bet, but many times they will tell you that they can't
guarantee GF status as their products are made in so many different
locations
and in other countries and wheat starch might be used as a binder at
different locations.  It's frustrating but the only thing to do is to ask
for
the insert from you pharmacist each time you get a new refill, and call with
the specific question.  If you can develop a good relationship with your
pharmacist they can do this for you, but many larger drug stores simply
won't
take the time or don't even understand the problem.  I would advise you to
never take anyone else's word (including a doctor or pharmacist unless you
have verified yourself and the company is willing to put it in writing.  It
is hard, but worth the extra effort.  No sense doing without food products
that contain gluten only to be sabotaged by your medications.  (Don't listen
to anyone who says, "but it's only a small amount, it shouldn't bother you!"
Medications often have to be taken every day and many are formulated to be
absorbed in the small intestine rather than the stomach where most of our
damage is.  Be polite, but be persistent.
Try www.celiac.org,  which is the non profit support group the 'Celiac
Disease Foundation' in Studio City, California.  I'm sure they can steer you
in the right direction.  This is the Organization that has a cooperative
relationship with Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG).  Or possibly you can try
www.NeedyMeds.com/companies.html or www.clanthompson.com.
Stokes pharmacy dispenses its own medications and will make anything GF that
you need.  The problem is this must be something you'll need on a regular
basis as it will have to be mail order and insurance doesn't always cover.
For over the counter meads: Whitehall-Robins Healthcare is a fairly large
manufacturer that has a GF list of their products 1/877-CENTRUM or
www.centrum or www.advil.com should get you there.  Tylenol is made by
McNeil
Consumer Healthcare Division of McNeil -PPC, INC and they too have a GF list
which includes lots of OTC meds / 1/877-TYLENOL or www.tylenol.com should
get
you there.  Bristol Meyers Squibb also does, but I can't put my fingers on
it
right now.  (You should be able to locate it if you are interested in any of
their many products.)