Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:57:55 -0500

Thanks to all who helped me with info. regarding my question about using
Aveeno.  The responses ran about 4 to 1 in favor of continuing to use it on
my child's extreme eczema.  And our doctor also agreed unequivocally.

Reasons in favor:  only actual ingestion of gluten can cause a celiac
reaction, there is research showing proteins cannot be absorbed thru the
skin....oats themselves do not contain gluten, there is only concern about
contamination....many celiacs eat oats without difficulty, it might be that
those who do experience problems are reacting due to fiber content or some
other non-gluten related problem.

Reasons to stop using:  two people wrote that they had celiac-type symptoms
which they attributed to using Aveeno....other respondents simply said, it
has gluten so don't use it.

Several people told me their eczema had improved or vanished while on a
gluten free diet.  Unfortunately, this is not likely to happen in my son's
case, as he was gluten-free for 18 months and his eczema was really awful
during that whole period.  As you can imagine,we have tried dozens of
creams, ointments and moisturizers, without much luck.  We only tried the
Aveeno after he went on a gluten challenge last August, and for him it
provided miraculous results.

He had his biopsy this morning, it went pretty well.  He goes back on GF
diet immediately, but we will continue with Aveeno unless symptoms or
bloodwork indicate we should stop.

thanks to all who sent such kind words of support, and I wish all of you a
very happy holiday season, Lynn