From:
Linda Wyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 11:20:24 -0400

Dear List -

I received many responses and will try to summarize as best I can.
Unfortunately, I will probably be unsubscribing to the list after this post
because I have received three viruses from list members in the last week.

Parmesean Cheese - 4 people said grate a chunk of parmesean, but did not
offer a brand to use 1 person said to grate Wild Oats brand 1 person
said Safeway store brand fresh parmesean is safe 1 person said to grate
Frigo brand 1 person said Kraft Original parmesean is okay 4 people said
to grate a chunk of Stella brand 1 person said Kroger's store brand is safe

Sour Cream -
4 people said Daisy brand (at Wal-Mart) is safe
1 person said Kroger's store brand is safe
1 person recommended the Altadena Dairy (in CA, I think)
1 person recommended Hood (New York and New England)
1 person said Knudsen is safe
1 person said ALL sour cream is safe unless its flavored
1 person suggested straining Stoneyfield Farms plain yogurt to make a
    sour cream substitute

Seafood Cocktail Sauce -
1 person said McCormick makes this, but I can't find it
4 people said to make my own, using Heinz, DelMonte, or Great Value (Wal-Mart)
    ketchup, horseradish (Boarshead or Silver Springs) and some said to add
    lemon juice

Cottage Cheese -
1 person recommended Altadena Dairy (again, in California, I think)

Sugar-Free Maple (pancake) syrup -
1 person recommended Maple Grove Farms
1 person said the Adkins Diet has a SF & GF syrup
1 person recommended Da Vinci Gourmet, I checked their website and they do
have
    many, many SF & GF flavors, I called, and all their SF flavors are GF
    and Kosher Certified
Several people suggested Vermont Maid and Mrs. Butterworth, but these are not
    sugar-free, so I can't use them

Salad Dressing -
3 people said to use wine vinegar and olive oil but did not offer brand names
1 person said to use balsamic vinegar and either flaxseed oil or olive oil,
    but did not offer any brand names
4 people said to look for Annie's dressings, GF is stated on the label
1 person said all Seeds of Change dressings, pasta sauces and salsas are GF,
    but I have never heard of this brand
1 person said all Kraft dressings are GF, but we all have our own opinions of
    Kraft - I don't know what to think!
1 person said Wishbone Olive Oil Vinagrette is okay, but I recently contacted
    Wishbone and they wouldn't certify any of their dressings as GF
1 person suggested adapting the Joy of Cooking recipes to our GF diet
1 person suggested Renee Caesar (again, another one I haven't heard of)

Many of you suggested I subsceibe to Ann Whelan's Gluten-Free Living, and I
have. Looking forward to receiving my first issue soon.

One list member said that all Cabot's dariy items are GF - available at
Wal-Mart.

It was also suggested that I might have food allergies so I saw my PCP and
he referred me to an allergist. That's in June. I already have CD,
diabetes, anemia, hypothyroidism, hyperkalemia, renal insufficiency, and
edema, so what's a few food allergies??

Finally, one list member sent a very long message stating that she makes
everything she and her daughter eat from scratch. I envy her the time and
energy to do this, but her suggestions were too numerous to list here.

I will miss the list - but I don't think I want to take a chance on
contracting the viruses. Thanks for all the help.

Linda