From:
Nancy Newlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 13:04:28 -0800

I was reading the New Morning Cocoa Crispy Rice cereal
box the other morning and noticed the information about their
new sweetener, Fruitrim, which the box says is "pure fruit
juice and grain syrup."  The "grain syrup" got me on the
phone to them, and the lady I talked to, who asked if I was
a celiac, said that they cannot guarantee what grain it is
made from, but it is usually corn.  She said that the
manufacturer of the sweetener (not New Morning) says
that the protein sprue is removed from the grain.  Also,
she said that Pamela's uses this product in their mixes,
apparently without any problems.

Since I haven't seen any discussion on the list about this
sweetening product, I thought I'd find out if folks have
had a reaction to it and what the celiac groups think
about the risks.

Nancy