From:
Jeff Golden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 01:25:50 -0500

Thank you to all (so many!) who wrote regarding the one-page letter I show to
restaurants. Here's a summary of your concerns and suggestions so far:

1)  The greatest concern about the letter was that it is too daunting and
detailed for busy chefs. I agree and would not spring it on a busy staff at a
busy time.

If at all possible I call the restaurant ahead of time, speak with the owner,
and offer to fax the letter a day or two ahead of time. It was suggested that
I send one copy to the owner and another to the head chef. Then I can bring
in another copy with me when I arrive.

Personally I use this letter only in high-quality restaurants where the
owners take great pride in their creativity and want to please a "discerning"
(OK, fussy) crowd. At the Kenwood Restaurant in California's wine country
(where I can't afford to eat very often), the owner seemed genuinely eager to
prove he could meet this challenge. I faxed him the letter a day in advance,
told him I like chicken or fresh seafood, and asked him to come up with a
creative entree and a salad -- and I said I was sure I would enjoy whatever
gluten-free meal he produced. (Their food and wines are superb).

When I cannot contact the restaurant in advance, I try to go only during
off-peak times. I also "cultivate" several local restaurants by going there
often -- particularly an inexpensive Chinese restaurant where the owner is
very conscientious. She encourages me to bring a bag with my own soy, hoisin
and plum sauces and corn tortillas, and the chefs happily use them to cook my
meal and then return the bottles to me for next time (though we haven't quite
solved the contaminated wok problem yet).

2)  Many of us emphasized that formatting the letter is important, so key
information can be seen easily. Put I CAN EAT in bold or capital type;
similarly highlight key words like "AVOID." Maybe list the forbidden
ingredients in smaller or different type so the body of the letter doesn't
look so long (without the no-no list, it's just ten sentences).

3)  Some restaurateurs will not react well to the letter with its detailed
requests (especially if they operate on volume or if they fear you might sue
them if they goof up), but it's really a matter of your personal style and
salesmanship. It helps to have a twinkle in your eye and a genuine sense of
empathy when you talk to them. And I tip well (part of the cost of Celiac).

4) To prevent the waiter from pocketing the $5 advance tip, it was suggested
that the money be included with the letter in a sealed envelope addressed "To
the Chef."

5)  Some people asked why I included white pepper and TVP in the list of
foods to avoid. I copied them from the Frequently Asked Questions file that
was sent to me when I joined this list a month ago -- listed as ingredients
that might be OK or might not, depending on the manufacturer. I don't expect
any chef to call a manufacturer, so just to be safe I listed them as banned
for restaurant purposes. For further info on these items, please ask the
authors of the FAQs: Michael Jones, Bill Elkus, Jim Lyles, Lisa Lewis, or
Evan Hunt.

6)  Don Wiss made the good suggestion of adding spelt and kamut to the
forbidden list, particularly if it is a health-food restaurant.

I'll summarize any additional responses in a few days.

Meanwhile good eating to all,
--Jeff Golden