From:
Joanne D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 20:06:05 -0400

This has been a controversial subject here for a long time.  Many people
choose to believe what they will.  This is human nature and always will be.
In that respect, it will never be a solved issue because humans are
involved.  We cannot depend upon science, because science is limited, as
well.

The only thing I can say conclusively is that many distilled white vinegars
cause problems for me.  Not all,  But many.    Not only do they affect my
GI tract, but they also make a itchy, papular, then oozy rash on my sacral
spine area erupt.  It is easy to blame the GI effects on other
possibilities.  However, to my knowledge, nothing except gluten can cause a
DH rash to erupt.  Therefore, *I* choose to avoid it because it *appears*
as if many distilled grain vinegars and alcohols contain gluten.

Even saying this, there will be people who doubt me and will make all
kinds of suppositions because they choose to believe otherwise.  However,
this is MY truth, *I* know it, and anyone can argue with me until they are
blue in the face, and it won't change my reality, nor my interpretation of
it.  To me, distilled vinegars can and do contain gluten.

My best wishes to my fellow gluten intolerants.  I wish you a happy,
healthy holiday (passover or easter), and hope you find peace within
yourselves.  My greatest appreciation to those who have continued with the
wonderful effort of providing this list for us.  It helped save my life (a
few years back and about 50 pounds ago), along with a few other
individuals, some of which are also listmembers here.

Sincerely,

Joanne