From:
Sherry McBride <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:14:31 -0600

Hi There!

Just for a start, the topic of this message is not whether or not to get
tested, as I have already made the decision to have the testing done for
my own personal reasons.  :)

I went to a Gastroenterologist to commence testing for Celiac Disease.
I came out of his office fairly confused.

I had previously posted my symptoms to the list that had been diagnosed
as "Gluten Intolerant" by my Family Physician.  The list was a huge
influence in my decision to have the testing done.  My symptoms include
intestinal pain, bloating, painful intestinal gas, headaches, and
generally I seem to get quite lethargic and (much to the dismay of my
family :)) irritable.

The doctor told me that I probably do not have Celiac Disease, as most
Celiac's are asymptomatic, meaning they show no symptoms at all.  He
said he is going to test me, as there is of course, still the chance
that I am a Celiac.  I am told that I am to remove myself from a gluten
free diet for 4 weeks. (ouch!!!)  But his unofficial opinion was that I
am not a Celiac.

I don't know the statistics on how many Celiacs show symptoms, so this
is where I was hoping for your help.

Does anyone know if these claims are true?

I will summarize.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sherry
Winnipeg, Canada