From:
Martha Deutsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:51:40 -0400

Below is the response I got to my e-mail request for the gluten-free status
of Ocean Spray products. For some reason I had assumed these were not a
problem. Having been a diagnosed celiac for 29 years, I realize I cannot
assume anything!

I am concerned that we are not really making much progress by calling or
writing for ingredients verification. Is it possible to educate the
manufacturers and suppliers of "natural flavors" and "spices" etc. rather
than focus on the end products using these mystery ingredients?  Carrying
around lists of acceptable products seems a bit absurd, especially when one
never knows if the lists are reliable. I think we need to direct our energy
toward encouraging (and requiring) meaningful labels. We are not asking
manufacturers to guarantee our good h
ealth, but only to warn us of possible
problems. Don't we deserve this?

Martha Deutsch
Half Moon Bay, CA

-------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Ocean Spray regarding this ingredient in OCEAN
SPRAY(r) cranberry juice cocktail.

As you know, Gluten is a protein found in four grains: wheat, barley, rye
and oats.

Natural flavors may be in a grain alcohol base, so you may find trace
amounts of gluten in those products that have natural flavors on the
ingredient statement.

The following Ocean Spray(r) products are gluten free:  Cranberry Juice
Cocktail, 100% Orange Juice, Apple Juice and 100% White Grapefruit Juice.
If you have a particularly acute sensitivity to gluten in foods we suggest
that you consult your physician for his recommendation.

Thank you for your interest in Ocean Spray products.  Please contact me if
I can be of further assistance.  Ocean Spray, you know it's good.*

Sincerely,

Michele Webber
Consumer Correspondent
1,236,492