Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 07:58:46 -0600

I have had only one response to my recent post about distilled grain vinegar -- and it was concerning allowable levels of gluten and allowable standards - e.g. where do we draw the line. Currently there is no real worldwide standard for allowable levels of gluten, hence no standard for the term "gluten-free".

So, is distilled vinegar safe?  We generally say it's OK for instance, to drink rye whisky, or any alcohol or vinegar made from grain, as long as it has been distilled and no gluten has been added back at the end of the process. I know there are some people who avoid it anyway, but I could never understand why they did, if science had verified that it was safe. The theory goes that it is impossible for the gluten molecules to pass over during the distillation process.

Now I have more questions:

-- is this theory correct ?
-- has anyone ever measured a sampling of distilled products with ELISA testing ???
-- do we know for sure that no gluten is present or are we blindly following some unproven theory?
-- I recently asked the same questions about soy sauce, because there are companies currently claiming the gluten is "fermented away" during processing. I was flamed for even thinking such a thing  -- "everyone has always known that soy sauce contains gluten -- why are you even asking"  --  I was asking because I wanted to know if the gluten content had actually been measured or were we making assumptions.

Has distilled alcohol and vinegar been measured, or are we again making assumptions?

Janice.