From:
Joseph Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:36:50 -0600

I do not think it is standard practice to advocate less that a gluten
free diet for celiac disease.  Not reputable authority on the disease
suggests that is a reasonable approach.  The consequences of having some
gluten in the diet in a celiac does leave them open to continued or new
complications and continued ill health.  The diet, while challenging,
can be and is followed by the vast majority of adult patients that I
seem with very rare problems.  I myself have tried  it for several weeks
and it is achievable and I feel that physicians need to give positive
encouragement to their patients to aim for that.  If they suggest from
the outset that the patient will fail then that may happen.
Not Medical advice

Joseph A Murray, MD
Coordinator, Celiac Disease Clinic,
Associate Professor of Medicine,
Division of Gastroenterology/Hepatology,
University of Iowa,
200 Hawkins Drive,
Iowa City, IA 52242