From:
Hal Grotevant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 21:11:43 -0500

>I recall quite recently some discussion of DH, where it was stated that DH
>eruptions were due to gluten deposits under the skin--I was a bit too quick
>with the delete key, so may have that wrong.  If that is, in fact, the case,
>where would the gluten come from, if the person is on a strictly gluten-free
>diet?      John Wiseman        [log in to unmask]

John and listmembers,  This is from the "Celiac FAQ" published by this
listserv: DH "is related to IgA deposits under the skin. These occur as a
result of ingesting gluten. These deposits take a long time to clear up,
even when the patient is on a gluten-free diet."
The following is quoted from a chapter in "Clinical Immunodermatology" (2nd
ed.), by Mark V. Dahl, M.D.  Chicago: Year Book Medical Publishers. [date
unknown]  that my dermatologist shared with me.
"A hypothesis describing an immunobiologic basis for dermatitis
herpetiformis has received considerable experimental support. It states that
gluten-sensitive enteropathy is the cause of dermatitis herpetiformis and in
some way leads to the deposition of IgA in the skin of patients. Complement
is activated in the skin and produces immunologic damage at the basement
membrane zone. Vesicles are thereby produced.... About 90% of human IgA is
produced in the bowel. It is therefore reasonable to assume that IgA
associated with dermatitis herpetiformis is also synthesized in the bowel....
Sulfones and sulfapyridine promptly control the cutaneous eruption of
dermatitis herpetiformis but not the coexisting gluten-sensitive
enteropathy. ... A gluten-free diet not only allows the bowel to heal
promptly but also induces a remission of the skin dsease, although the
latter may take months. Even if remission is incomplete, a gluten-free diet
may allow dapsone to control the disease at a lower dose." (pp. 210-213)
So - it's not gluten that's in the skin, but rather IgA.   I hope this
information helps.
Hal Grotevant    St. Paul, Minnesota     [log in to unmask]
Hal Grotevant       [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Family Social Science      voice: (612) 624-3756
University of Minnesota            fax: (612) 625-4227
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN  55108