From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:17:18 -0400

Dear Listmates:

On Aug. 15 the NYTimes ran an article on people (mostly women) with
autoimmune disorders. In the article was quite accurately depicted (from
my point of view) the all-too-familiar routine of endless visits to MD's
with no overall guidance in making medical decisions and/or managing
day-to-day living.  (The article can be purchased for $2.50 from the
on-line NYTimes (www.nytimes.com) Archives:  If you search autoimmune
diseases it is article #16, as of 8/15/00.)

Calling the article to the attention of this list yielded some
interesting thoughts:  First, that the NYTimes has lately skirted the
issue of Celiac Disease without ever once mentioning it--in recent
articles on IBS, and fibromyalgia, for example.

I do believe that one reason the Times and other papers do not mention
CD is because we have reputations as people who do NOT eat things,
rather than as people who DO eat, and eat very well, indeed.  In other
words, most newspapers--certainly the NYTimes--are consumer-oriented,
i.e., business-oriented.  If we really want the local press to pay
attention to us we should call attention to the growing specialty
businesses that cater to our needs and which we all too happily
patronize.

I take notice of the articles about Senator Lieberman's kosher
eating...maybe this is a good time for all people with special dietary
requirements to be noticed in a positive, that is to say, hopeful and
sympathetic light.

Nancy in nyc