From:
David Wurtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Wurtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:08:41 -0800

Thanks for the post. Just a clarification on what someone says below:

"flax seed oil is much more potent (therefore clearly healthier) than fish oil."

This is absolutely wrong. Flax may be healthier than fish oil (I don't happen to know) but if so, it's not because of potency. Potency refers only to how big a dose of something it takes to get an effect, not how beneficial the effect is. One medicine whose dose is 3 mg may be exactly as beneficial as a different medication of which you take 6 mg. Or it may not be. But either way, it's not because 3 is lower than 6.