Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:32:03 -0800

Dear Diedre and friends,
I am responding about commercial diet programs. Of course, Jenny Craig
and other similar plans have their own food, which would not be
appropriate for celiacs.  I have been a member of Weight Watchers a long
time (pre-celiac days).  It was easier to lose weight before diagnosis,
unfortunately.  However, all along the Weight Watcher plans have been
appropriate for celiacs because of the option of substitution. I believe
the earlier program where we counted carbos, protein, fat, milk, etc.
was  easier for celiacs.  Now the counting system is based on the
nutritional values one finds in cookbooks or on labels, although there
is a good generic guide for values.  It is a very good balanced food
plan and can be adapted for all celiacs with extra investigation.  I
like the meetings, too, for reinforcement -- kind of like a support
group, if you will. I know I would be even bigger if I didn't go to the
meetings regularly.  I still have my "red light" foods that I should
completely avoid.  Losing weight takes commitment and a plan and support
from family. Good luck!  Janet in Houston